Strands of floss of threads - need help understanding

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Beaaaatrice

Strands of floss of threads - need help understanding

Post by Beaaaatrice »

Hi everyone!

I'm doing some research for my next project, still haven't decided the project but I'm looking at HAED and in almost every kit that they have it says:

"1X1 means that you would use 1 strand of floss over 1 thread of fabric"
"2X1 means that you would use 2 strands of floss over 1 thread of fabric."

What does that mean?

also, I'm looking at a colour chart right now and on some of the colours it says "2 strands" and on some colours it says "6 strands per chain" and I don't understand that one either.

I'm not english speaking so I don't fully understand what it all means. :oops:

Have a nice day!
Bea
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Strands of floss of threads - need help understanding

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Hi Bea (same name as my mother :-) although she is a Belia not a Beatrice) :wave:

one over one means, as you guessed, one strand (out of the six that make up a thread) stitching over one thread of the fabric. When working on evenweave (cotton or linen) you can choose to make very small crosses over just one thread of the fabric, or larger "aida-sized" crosses that go over two threads of the fabric.

Most of the stitches in the picture below are "over 2", but the tiny blue one on the right is "over one"

Hope that helps! Unfortunately, I'm not sure either what "6 strands per chain" means. Is it still cross stitch, or is it chain stitch? Could you give us the whole sentence (or paragraph) that that phrase is in? That might make it clearer.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Which design is it? That might make the "6 strands per chain" thing more understandable.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Serinde wrote:Which design is it? That might make the "6 strands per chain" thing more understandable.
I agree. I remembered that you said you were looking at Andy Russell's designs and I looked at two of the floss usage charts and can't find anything about 6 strands per chain. The DMC skeins are 6 strands per thread. I have never seen a HAED design that had anything but full crosses (though many stitchers prefer to us a tent - 1/2 stitch - on higher counts of even weave fabric - because it is faster). Hope I'm not confusing you more. I find that these are a lot of fun to stitch.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Beaaaatrice

Post by Beaaaatrice »

Thank you so so much! Now I understand!

Is it when it's very small squares like for an example on a 40 count on 1 square inch when you could use the "over 2"? Is "over 1" the most common way to stitch?

I took a look again at the chart which I was looking at and the link is here: http://www.heavenandearthdesigns.com/fl ... 0Floss.pdf" target="_blank

This link is from the purchase website and I believe it's OK to pass it on, it's a list of DMC colours you need to buy for this motif.

First, it's the symbols that represent the colours and there it says "2 strands", further down the same colours come again but at the top it says "6 strands per skein", I believe it's just information about the thread?

I think I answered my own question after the second look, I'm so sorry about that, I think I was overthinking everything the first time :oops:

How many strands do you use? Does it depend on how many squares there are per inch or how does it work?

Mabel Figworthy: Belia, what a beautiful name! :D :D

rcperryls , I was just about to post the reply when I saw you made one, and look at that, the chart is from Andy Russel, I'm very close to buying this one actually. @rotfl:

Thank you guys for trying to help me! :wub: :wub:
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

Beaaaatrice wrote:Thank you so so much! Now I understand!

Is it when it's very small squares like for an example on a 40 count on 1 square inch when you could use the "over 2"? Is "over 1" the most common way to stitch?

I took a look again at the chart which I was looking at and the link is here: http://www.heavenandearthdesigns.com/fl ... 0Floss.pdf" target="_blank" target="_blank

This link is from the purchase website and I believe it's OK to pass it on, it's a list of DMC colours you need to buy for this motif.

First, it's the symbols that represent the colours and there it says "2 strands", further down the same colours come again but at the top it says "6 strands per skein", I believe it's just information about the thread?

I think I answered my own question after the second look, I'm so sorry about that, I think I was overthinking everything the first time :oops:

How many strands do you use? Does it depend on how many squares there are per inch or how does it work?

Thank you guys for trying to help me! :wub: :wub:
The most common example, when looking at stitching over 1 and over 2 is that usually when you use an Aida fabric you stitch over one, and when using evenweave you stitch over 2 if you wish to create a similar sized design. Here's an example:

If you use 14 count Aida and stitch over 1, and you use a 28 count evenweave and stitch over 2, you'll end up with stitches that are exactly the same size. In that case when we say over 2 threads, it means over 2 threads of the fabric (skipping a hole).

Yes, with that link what it's telling you with "6 strands per skein" is that the chart is giving you an idea of floss usage based on DMC threads, which come in skeins of 6 strands of floss, some people pick different brands and threads for their HAEDs, which might come in different lengths of threads and sizes of skein.

Then the chart lists how many skeins will be used if you are to stitch the design using their specifications, meaning, if you stitch on 25 count fabric, with full stitches, it will take 2 skeins of DMC thread for most of the colors listed, that's just so you know how much thread to buy in total.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Beaaaatrice wrote:Thank you guys for trying to help me!
That is what we are here for!! You can not imagine how many questions I had when I started my first HAED and I had stitched a lot of more complicated designs (a lot of Teresa Wentzler which uses blended threads and back stitching etc) but these were different. And there are more questions I wish I had asked before stitching the first one. The floss usage chart tells you to use 2 strands of thread over 1 strand of thread on 25 count fabric. I found that so hard to stitch once I get into areas that had a lot of confetti (lots of single stitches of different colors in a small area). It became so bulky I could not get a needle through the fabric. Yet others have no problem with that. I would suggest trying different fabrics - anything you want from 16 or 18 ct aida to 25 to 32 count evenweaves. I have quite a few in progress and they range from stitching 1 over 1 full crosses on 25 count lugana to tent stitching (that is a form of half stitches) 2 over 1 on 28 count lugana. I prefer the tent stitching because its faster, but would strongly suggest you test stitch on different fabrics using different methods to find the one that will work best for you. (include single color blocks and some confetti in the testing).

Never be afraid to ask a question.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
cairee

Post by cairee »

most people find making a full cross stitch with 2 strands on 25ct or higher to be bulky and diffucult to stitch. my personal favourite fabric for a HAED design is 32ct evenweave stitching 1 over 1 full cross. other combinations that work for me are 1 over 1 full cross or 2 over 1 tent on 28, 32, or 36ct. or 1 over 1 tent on 40 and 48ct

I dont really like cross stitch on 25ct, too bulky with 2 over 1 full cross, not quite enough coverage in 1 over 1 full cross or 2 over 1 tent.
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

cairee wrote:most people find making a full cross stitch with 2 strands on 25ct or higher to be bulky and diffucult to stitch. ...I dont really like cross stitch on 25ct, too bulky with 2 over 1 full cross, not quite enough coverage in 1 over 1 full cross or 2 over 1 tent.

I agree that 2-over-1 full crosses is much too bulky on 25 ct. I do, however, get full coverage tenting 2-over-1 on that same count. Using a laying tool, I am fastidious about making sure the threads lay side-by-side -- usually because I'm doing blends -- and even dark colors on white fabric I get full coverage.

WIP
Beaaaatrice

Post by Beaaaatrice »

Thank you all for the help!

In my current project I'm using Aida fabric, the one with the larger squares, and came to a part in the design where I was supposed to do a half square and also a quarter square and with the way the fabric is, it was not a walk in the park trying to get it right and look good at the same time. I didn't actually know there was another type of fabric, I actually thought that all looked like Aida but came in different colours and count, I'm definitely going to try evenweave someday!!

I've actually never heard of tenting before, I googled it and I must try it someday! :D :D

I don't know what count I have on my fabric, I'll check it when I get home from work. I do know that it's a low count, maybe 16 or 18. It somehow feels good when the squares are bigger, the motif you have gets bigger than it says on the chart because you're using a lower count. But it demands a higher thread count, I'm using three threads at the moment and sometimes it feels like I should have gone with four, because the white shines through and it actually bothers me a bit. :oops:

I'm still fairly new at this so I know I have a lot more to learn and to test, it excites me :whoop:

The pictures you've posted has helped me a lot in understanding how it all works, I really appreciate it :wub:

Have a great holiday everyone and merry christmas!

Like we say in Sweden: God jul och gott nytt år!

Bea
fccs

Post by fccs »

Beaaaatrice wrote:
I'm still fairly new at this so I know I have a lot more to learn and to test, it excites me :whoop:
And your excitement excites me! :whoop: :whoop:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends