Threads

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

DawnBreak

Threads

Post by DawnBreak »

OK Here's a question for all you cross-stitchers out there - what thread do you prefer using/do you use?
Anchor? DMC? Or another brand altogether?

Also, to those who have used the unbranded ones that are colour matched to the name brands, what did you think of them? Were they any good? Colour-fast/frayed easily/colour matched?.. that kind of thing! :)

Any recommendations/advice MUCH appreciated :)
DawnBreak
xxx

---------------------------
WIP - Sacred Connection (Dimensions)

Completed:
Blue Moonlight Night
Winnie The Pooh & Tigger Cushion Cover
Bookmark "Hazel"
Bookmark "L"
richardandtracy

Re: Threads

Post by richardandtracy »

I use DMC myself.
There is a reason for this - they are easily available, washable, pretty consistent in colours and have a pretty wide range of colours (currently 447 in the standard cotton colours), and if obtained over the internet can be at reasonable prices. It also helps that other people have published nominal rgb values for the threads. As a result, I have written a program to chart images using the DMC range - consequently it is by far & away the easiest range for me to use. I have yet to absolutely confirm the rgb values myself (and did come unstuck with the published colours of the darker beige swatch members being too light once) but generally they seem OK, and I have plans one day to do my own independent confirmation.

I have used Anchor on one project (as my local shop stocks Anchor), and found no particular difference. The only reason I don't use them is that they have a smaller range, and it's easier to stick with one type in a project.

My first experience of cross stitch through 2011 was with a Chinese origin kit. These used Egyptian threads, with wrappings in Chinese, not being able to read either, they were effectively no-name threads. They worked OK, but dusted a bit if the thread was too long and it wore a bit to the end of the thread. Because they were 'no name', I couldn't get them again even if I wanted...

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I have used DMC threads since I started stitching. They are the most easily accessible thread (even Walmart carries some, sometimes) over here and I have come across very few patterns that don't have a key chart that doesn't include DMC. Like Richard said, lots of colors/shades to choose from. I do use Anchor black, though, instead of DMC. They are both very thin threads, but the Anchor seems slightly better. I have to order it online as I have yet to see it in a store here (since my LNS closed). I love hand-dyed threads and have used silk threads for some projects and really do love those, but for most projects, especially large ones, DMC is my choice.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

I started off with Anchor as that was the only one available when I was young so automatically chose that brand. But most kits I have are with DMC so I keep to that make now. I do have some Anchor threads left though which I will use up in time. :)
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

I started with DMC because they were readily available. I used to walk to a store and pick up a few colours every week. That store closed down. Then Lewiscraft closed down.

All the stores near me (Walmart and Fabricland) were only selling Anchor. But I did not want to switch....I had about 200 DMC.

I sTarted picking up threads out of town, and was quite pleased when they finally opened a. Micheal's in the city.

~~~

I have used no name, and I do not like them.
Arianwen

Post by Arianwen »

I use Anchor and DMC. I have a full set of Anchor as the others say there is less range of colours available. I am in the process of finishing my DMC collection. I like both and use whichever takes my fancy at the time as to me there is very little difference in the overall quality of threads
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
evelyn joan

Post by evelyn joan »

I am very fond of the VENUS brand but they have become harder to find lately! :(
I have every colour of Venus threads twice over & quite a few odd ones, I bought up as many of them as I could when my usual supplier reduced them to 30p a skein after they had decided not to restock them! :D

My 2nd choice is ANCHOR, much prefer Anchor to DMC & if ever I buy a Crosstitch kit that is kitted up with DMC threads I always change them over to Venus or Anchor, depends on the size of the kit as to which I choose.

Joan.
evelyn joan

Post by evelyn joan »

I am very fond of the VENUS brand but they have become harder to find lately! :(
I have every colour of Venus threads twice over & quite a few odd ones, I bought up as many of them as I could when my usual supplier reduced them to 30p a skein after they had decided not to restock them! :D

My 2nd choice is ANCHOR, much prefer Anchor to DMC & if ever I buy a Crosstitch kit that is kitted up with DMC threads I always change them over to Venus or Anchor, depends on the size of the kit as to which I choose.

Joan.
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

I have a full set of the DMC threads so I tend to use them most of all. I've noticed some designs in the magazines are only for Anchor like the Beatrix Potter ones and Tatty Teddy which can be annoying when they don't show the DMC thread equivalents. I've never used any other thread types like Madeira.
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

As other have said, DMC has the best range of colors, it's readily available, most designs are charted in it, and I can get it at the best price. I prefer using Anchor. My experience with Anchor is that it seems to be a better quality floss (it doesn't twist as much and doesn't try to make noose-knots), but there aren't nearly as many colors, it's a lot more expensive and not as easy to find. My perceived difference in quality isn't nearly enough for me to switch. Since I prefer doing charts with blended threads, I need to use the brand the design was charted in and that's usually DMC.

WIP
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

I am leaning more towards becoming an Anchor fan. However, I have to order it online because there is no retailer here. I have lots of DMC because that is what the local stores carry. They both have their good qualities about them. I find if you want to replace a Dimensions color? Anchor carries colors that are more dead-on for the right color.

I would like to try overdyed threads, but I am not understanding what people are using them for? What's the difference? I need to do more research. :tea: