How do you finish a complex pattern when 1 block of colors?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

ecology665

How do you finish a complex pattern when 1 block of colors?

Post by ecology665 »

I just purchased a Riolis pattern 'Plate with Great Tit' from 123Stitch.com. It's complex. A lot of single color usage. How do you neatly finish the back when the pattern has lots of single block colors? For instance a make-up pattern: X)))XYvvv. How can I neatly finish the back with this going on? :thinks: :tea:

:wip:
Marilyn Monroe
In the Garrett
Oriental Splendor
richardandtracy

Re: How do you finish a complex pattern when 1 block of colo

Post by richardandtracy »

Once you get past a certain level of complexity, I really don't think it is possible to keep the back of the project neat.

I think this one below is the last neat-ish one I did. It's from 2014, and the project had 29 colours. This is the front:
And this is the back:
It's far neater than anything I've managed since. However, when the confetti gets to the realms of 20+ colours in a 10x10 square I simply have no idea how anyone could make it look neat.

Not much help, I know.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Re: How do you finish a complex pattern when 1 block of co

Post by rcperryls »

A neat back can be really difficult. When I,was stitching afghans I worked really hard to keep the backs neat. Mostly I would weave a thread under other threads on the back if,I,had only a few stitches in between so that I didn’t have a lot of loose threads on the back. I would also,try to stitch smaller blocks of colors first so that later blocks would cover earlier stitches. When the back isn’t going to show, I just remind myself that there is a reason it’s called a back and only pay attention if I think a strand might show through a light fabric.

Don’t know if this makes any sense. I think I have a few photos in my gallery of some afghan backs, but not sure if that will help or not.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

Thank You Carol and Richard for the advise. :D

I don't know why I get so hung up about the back. :doh: Maybe, because they say its possible.

:wip:
Marilyn Monroe
In the Garret
Oriental Splendor
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

A friend once told me "Life's too short to stuff Mushrooms"

I have adapted that to the reverse side of my stitching. I try not to have knots or lumps of thread so I strand thread over no more than 4 stitches. I weave the thread through the back as carefully as possible, sometimes taking a non-direct route to avoid lumps.

When the piece is finished and framed or backed onto a cushion FORGET the back...it won't be seen again! :wink:
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

Thanks Wendy. :whoop: :applesauce: