Metallic Threads

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Rose

Metallic Threads

Post by Rose »

I did this for the Pattern Programs and it looks like we need one for the Metallic threads.

This is the place to give your opinion about metallics that you like :D or dislike :( and please keep it nice but explain what problems you have had with it or why you feel this is a good choice.

Also if you could give an idea of the coverage it provides. Can it stand alone? Does it need regular floss to help it stand out? Does it need Thread Heaven to help it flow?

Like I said girls and boys be nice!!!! :lol: :lol:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
~threadbear~

Re: Metallic Threads

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Oooh a place to over enthuse about my favourite threads ~ metallics! :dance: :wub: :dance:

I adore Rainbow gallery petite treasure braids. :wub: They are so easy to use. I had never used metallics before and have only started with these in recent months. Now I add them to projects just because I want to use them, even when they aren't part of the original design.
I bought some thread heaven to use with them on my first project but I've only rarely needed to use it. I have even sewn with fairly long pieces of the thread at a time as well (which seems to go against standard advice) and not had a terrible amount of fraying on it.
I've only ever had to use one strand of it and nothing else with it. I did once feel the eyes I was sewing didn't stand out as well as I liked (a cross stitch on one block of aida) so I back stitched round it in the metallic thread still and that seemed to do the trick. I've also stitched over the eye twice on an occasion that i wanted it to stand 'up' from the rest of the stitching and that went fine as well.

Overall, I have nothing bad to say about these except maybe that they are a little pricey generally, but then they are good quality, so I won't complain! :dance:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I haven't used the usual skeins of metallics, somehow I ended up with two spools (if that's the right word -- with the thread wound round it), one DMC silver (278, col. 4041) and one Madeira gold (no.40, col. 24); both are quite fine so I use it as I would one strand of ordinary floss, i.e. on 14ct material I use it double. This gives good coverage, and I've also used it blended with floss, one of each.

The Madeira and the DMC work equally well, the end in the needle occasionally frays a bit but that's partly because I cut my threads too long :-). It also works out quite cheap compared to other threads as the Madeira no.40 comes in 200m spools at £2 each and the DMC no.278 comes in 100m spools at £1.33 each, both of which will last you for yonks unless your a serious metallics junkie :-). They both come in a range of colours and I would certainly recommend them as they are versatile, not too bouncy, and relatively inexpensive.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
SusanF

Post by SusanF »

I've only used Kreinik #4 so haven't had much experience of metallics. So far the Kreinik has not been a problem at all. I've kept to short floss lengths. On this project I have used two strands of ordinary DMC floss and have found that one strand of Kreinik on it's own fits in nicely giving a similar coverage. It gives a lovely subtle sparkle to the work.
Susan

My Stitchy blog: SF Stitch
(updated 16th April 2010)
carolyn61

Post by carolyn61 »

I'm going to have to add my endorsement along with Threadbear's enthusiasm for the Rainbow gallery petite treasure braids. I used the DMC metallics in the past and had encountered many problems. But since using the Rainbow braids my low opinion of metallics has changed completely. They (RB) may be a bit more on the pricey side but when I took into consideration the amount of thread lost with the DMC metallics (due to fraying, knots and the like) it seemed to even the score somewhat. I used less thread overall with the Rainbow brand and didn't waste any at all, the same couldn't be said for the DMC. I hope that was still putting it nicely Rose. For me personally, I prefer the Rainbow.
Carolyn
Little Stitcher

Post by Little Stitcher »

Hey Guys,
this is the kit I'm doing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cross-Stitch-Kit-An ... otohosting" target="_blank

The petite treasure braids look good and I've also looked at Krienik? I think - they stock it at spotlight but it looks very fine compared to the thick stupid tinsel stuff...I've already done a section of his neck in the stupid bronze metallic - when you guys have switched have you pulled out all other stitches and started again?
Rose

Post by Rose »

OMG that is an amazing chart. I would go nuts with all the metallic.

The krenik depending on if you get the blending filament or the metallic thread or the krenik braid are all very different and all are a different size so you have to make sure you are getting the right type of krenick for the job you want done. I am currently working with the blending filament which I am using wih 2 strands of floss. You can also use it by it self but you need 2 to 3 lengths together to get the proper coverage.
nettie

Post by nettie »

Rose I said in another thread that I would ask for help next time I tried metallics. You are a true star.

I have just tried the DMC light effects metallics and I had real trouble. It may just be my inexperience with them but I gave up the whole project because of them.
Little Stitcher

Post by Little Stitcher »

Hey Rose,
Yeah I love working on it - and although I hate the metallics it does make it stand out (and VERY slow to stitch - definite noob here I thought it was going to be so quick to do and it is a xmas present for last xmas :(...least I know now lol)

It says to use two strands of normal and one of the bronze and the gold blending filament - the two really painful ones. Everything else I have done has been in 3 stands as well - do you think if I used one strand normal and one metallic for those two that this would make a noticeable diff in the finished project? Just thought that it might look more effective as it won't be 'hidden' as much - and it will be so much easier....Have any of you done this before or do you think it will change the look of the stitches greatly?
Rose

Post by Rose »

Unfortunately I believe you would see a very noticable difference if you changed the number of threads in the middle of the project. I would hate to have you do a lot of stitching only to find out the difference would stand out like a sore thumb.

What you could try if in an area that is close to the threads you have already stitched try the different number of threads and do a few stitches say maybe 25. Just enough to get a good idea of what they will look like. Set the pattern in a chair and walk a few steps away. What does it look like from a distance. Can you really see the two different numbers. If this is something you notice I would go back to the original number of threads. Otherwise everytime you look at the finished piece you will be dissapointed and you won't get the same enjoyment out of it. This piece is to big and will have to much time into it to be desinated to a hidden spot because you are not happy with the final results.

Good luck and let us know what you have decided and also please if you can put it in the SAL so we can stitch with you. :)
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Just put some metalic in my King Tut. Went better than I thought. Thanks to thread heaven ( TH). seems to stop the fraying and the knotting. I have used metalics before and hated it but with the TH I think it will be ok
Linda
T1Pumper

Post by T1Pumper »

I have used the DMC metallics and was very disappointed in the results. I may be inclined to try again with a different type and to also blend it with regular floss for a subtle effect to the project...
T1Pumper (Regge)

2012 WIPs: Country Bloomers, a 12 month sampler, Legend of Dogwood Tree
http://www.pamperedchef.biz/rcj176" target="_blank
*FREE Giveaway* http://yougotmeinstitches.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank
happiegirl

Post by happiegirl »

hi, for anyone who's used the rainbow gallery petite treasure braids, how many strands have you used? the pattern i'm doing is on 14ct aida and calls for two strands of floss for the cross-stitches... should i use two strands of floss and one of the metallic, or one floss one metallic? thanks!
Skattiekat

Post by Skattiekat »

I've used Kreinik #4 Very Fine Braid in 3 colours in my Autumn Queen and the only way I've been able to do it without going crazy is by using short lengths. I've lost my TH so have had to do without it but it does help.
I have used only 1 strand.

I hate it but it does look lovely when finished.

:lol:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I haven't had any trouble with Kreinik brands, and have never used Thread Heaven either. I've just tied the metallic to the needle and used slightly shorter lengths. Works for me. But my Venice design uses DMC gold which is a lovely, lovely colour, but so badly behaved. I might ceremoniously burn what I have left over, on the realisation that I never want to have to sew with it again. Ever. :roll:
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I used the krenik on my Black Rose design and I used one thread doubled which I secured at the back by a knot (It was a VERY small one :oops: honest!) and then taking my thread through it at the back to hold it tight. I found having it like that gave the effect of two strands and good coverage, however it's a pain to frog.
Much nicer to sew with and much, much better behaved is the rainbow petite gallery treasure braids and I have just used one strand of these and found them to be just fine. :D

*Is very biased towards the treasure braids* :wub:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

I will happily add my voice to the growing band of Petite Treasure Braid supporters.

I am using a fair amount of it on a Angel project and it's not too difficult. Like others, I find Thread Heaven helps enormously as does keeping the thread untwisted in between stitches (as it does seem to have a life of its own and seeks to coil up like a spring at the slightest chance).

To my mind, metallics add so much to a design that, for me, they're well worth the extra effort and (slight) expense.

Slinky
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
Esber

Post by Esber »

If your doing metallics don't forget the Thread Heaven. I recently put a post on here about how I hate metalic thread. Thanks to a lot of fine people on here I'm now using Thread Heaven and it sure makes life a lot easier. :D :D :D
bolshiegirl

Post by bolshiegirl »

Hi There

I'm a complete newbie, both to cross stitch and this forum! I have started a pattern that needs accents in Anchor Lame gold thread, but as my supplier in Malaysia does not stock Anchor threads, I have had to use DMC metallics. Has anyone else ended up tearing their hair out over these? The pattern calls for 3 strands and I have found the DMC difficult to thread. It also frays easily and is very stiff and 'sharp', making it quite difficult to work with. I ended up unpicking a whole section to find that it had enlarged the holes in my Aida fabric, just in pulling it through.

Has anyone used Anchor metallics? Do you think I would be better off trying to order some online? I'm ready to give up on my DMC.

Many thanks.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

As you will quickly find here, DMC metallics heve most people tearing their hair out! The only ones I like are their blending filaments (very thin metallics that come on spools) and I think these are being phased out :-(.

Personally I like working with blending filaments, which I then just use double or triple if the fabric needs it. Madeira's no.40 thread (sometimes classed as a machine thread) is my favourite, and I think it's much like their GlissenGloss Rainbow range which is easily available online.

Threadbear will tell you that the world's best metallics are Rainbow Gallery's Petite Treasure Braid :-), and I must say she has managed to convince me that they are very nice to use! They are thicker than blending filament and a single thread gives good coverage on 16ct or 18ct (it's also OK on 14ct if you're not looking for very thick coverage).

Good luck trying various options!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page