Metallic Threads

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

tintin

Re: Metallic Threads

Post by tintin »

Hello,
i'm after some advice about using metallic threads,
is it best to leave to the very last or should you use as you go.
any advice welcome.

tina
:wip:
king tut
Rose

Post by Rose »

It actually will depend apon the pattern but for the most part I work the metallic as I would any other thread. Occasionally I will leave it to the end but as I said it depends on the pattern I am working on.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
babyjazz

Post by babyjazz »

Something that I have found that helps with metallic, and most other threads, is to thread your needle and run needle and thread through a dryer sheet. It takes all the static out of the thread and helps it keep from tangling so easily.
Emmylou

Post by Emmylou »

I'm thinking of using DMC Jewel Effects for the current papillon sal though I'm not sure how many strands to use...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Emma Louise
http://emmystitches.com/
Cochonou14 on HAED BB

WIP
Wedding sampler
Café de Paris
HAED TT Kitten 2
Dimension's Travel Memories
HAED Mystic Garden
DMC's Vegetable Basket
HAED Mini Curl up with a good book
mazzelsha

Post by mazzelsha »

Hi, I'm using metallic thread with the Heather Anne kit - Roxanne & it keeps splitting. I've invested in some thread heaven which has helped quite a bit but there's a very fine white thread that keeps seperating from the gold metallic itself. Does anyone have any other ideas to help with this?

WIP - Roxanne

Finished 2012:
  • Mouseloft 'Mouse'
    Fizzy Moon Coaster
    Daffodil Coaster
    Dragon & Egg Coaster
    Ladybird Magnet
    Black & White Cat
    Celtic Wall Hanging
    Primary Cat
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Emmylou wrote:I'm thinking of using DMC Jewel Effects for the current papillon sal though I'm not sure how many strands to use...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
My quick response.. don't use it. I hate HATE DMC metallics. Too much hassle and headache. I don't think they lay nice.. and they twist and knot too much for me. I switch it for Rainbow Gallery Petite Treasure Braid.. or Kreinik if I am in a pinch.
I want to try Glissen Gloss- but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

mazzelsha wrote:Hi, I'm using metallic thread with the Heather Anne kit - Roxanne & it keeps splitting. I've invested in some thread heaven which has helped quite a bit but there's a very fine white thread that keeps seperating from the gold metallic itself. Does anyone have any other ideas to help with this?
Not sure which brand you are using, but when I stitch with metallics, I loop tie my thread to my needle. I make a tight loop and push that through my needle.. but before I pull it all the way through, leave the loop and put my needle in the middle of it, then pull on one length of thread to tighten it to you needle. So you have one super long one to stitch with, and one little short tail.
The little short tail will split and fray.. but doesn't matter- you won't be stitching with it anyways. Then stitch like normal.
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

Emmylou wrote:I'm thinking of using DMC Jewel Effects for the current papillon sal though I'm not sure how many strands to use...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm using Rainbow PTB for the Papillon Sal and absolutely love it! It's so much easier than stitching with Kreinik and comes in loads of colours. I'd really recommend looking at PTB if possible.
WIP
Rose Window
SQ Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - pgs 1-3 complete
HAED Curl up with a Good Book
Around the World in 80 Stitches - pts 1-12 complete
Mabel's SOTW - Jan-June complete
HAED BB Sal
elenmirie

Post by elenmirie »

Maggie wrote:
Not sure which brand you are using, but when I stitch with metallics, I loop tie my thread to my needle. I make a tight loop and push that through my needle.. but before I pull it all the way through, leave the loop and put my needle in the middle of it, then pull on one length of thread to tighten it to you needle. So you have one super long one to stitch with, and one little short tail.
The little short tail will split and fray.. but doesn't matter- you won't be stitching with it anyways. Then stitch like normal.
I am currently doing some fiddly backstitching using 1 strand of Kreinik 104C gold cord - I tried this suggestion and it does help a lot! I'm also using short lengths (about 12") and just generally going slowly. Also not trying to squish the last stitches out of a strand like I would with floss, just finish it off when it gets shortish and get another piece. It's definitely more difficult than doing the same with floss, but doing the above makes it tolerable (so far.)

Thanks everyone for sharing your tips! :applesauce:
elenmirie

Post by elenmirie »

Following up the above: I now have a PhD in fiddly backstitching using Kreinik gold cord (about 12 hours of the stuff, see closeup below.)

I started using short (12") lengths, but then graduated to 18" lengths and with care this worked fine. Tried tying to needle and not tying; IMO tying works better. The way that worked best for me was to thread a loop through the needle and pull the thread through, pull tight through the eye of the needle. This would occasionally work loose during stitching, whereupon I would just tie it back on using a double knot. Be very careful of developing tangles at the back of the fabric; they are a bear to correct. I had to frog a few stitches at one point and that was awful - a constant fear of pulling other threads out. So I got twice as careful after that.

I didn't use Thread Heaven on account of I only just heard of it and didn't have any on hand. :P

Hope this helps someone! :wub:

Here is a detail of some of the gold backstitching - it is enlarged so you can see it; the original is 2 over 2 on 28 count (the gold backstitching is using 1 strand of Kreinik). The backstitching is around the green leaf shapes in the main part of the border. You can see it even bigger by clicking the picture. (Please do not judge, I know I ain't perfect! :oops: )

MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Backstitching with metallics.. ugh that does not sound fun. You've certainly earned that PhD. It looks like you've done a good job of it- nothing to be ashamed about.
:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

Happy to see my tip about loop tying was helping a bit.
Thread Heaven you can pick up at JoAnns if you have one near you. If its not in the stitch section, look over in the quilting area, on the notions wall. By the sewing machine needles, snaps, pins and such. Small little blue box, about a 1" cube. Maybe $3-4. Otherwise its available at needlework shops.
elenmirie

Post by elenmirie »

Maggie wrote:
Backstitching with metallics.. ugh that does not sound fun.
Too right, sister! :lol:
Sue Padget

Post by Sue Padget »

I used a gold thread for the first time on a Golden Wedding Anniversary card. It was a kit so I am not sure what manufacture of thread it was but it frayed very easily. I found using small lengths at a time helped and also a very tiny knot at each end was useful and didn't stop the thread going through the aida holes. Didn't enjoy using it much :-)
carolanne

Post by carolanne »

I am working on a long existing wip, and I am at the mostly metallic stage. The short lengths seem to help some. It also used a kind of pearly filament, that I used most of and need more, can't find it, and I am not really happy with the look, I think it looks bunchy and lumpy. I am considering taking it out and trying something different. It looks as though this piece will be with me for a long time. :roll:
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

carolanne wrote:I am working on a long existing wip, and I am at the mostly metallic stage. The short lengths seem to help some. It also used a kind of pearly filament, that I used most of and need more, can't find it, and I am not really happy with the look, I think it looks bunchy and lumpy. I am considering taking it out and trying something different. It looks as though this piece will be with me for a long time. :roll:
carolanne, that sounds like pearl blending filament by kreinik---is it used with another thread--if so it's likely the blending filament. You can visit 123stitch.com and view this page http://www.123stitch.com/Thread_and_Floss.html there are several kinds of kreinik threads there as well as other threads to view.
If you use Thread Heaven on the metallic thread that will definitely smooth down some of the bunchiness.
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

nasreen

Post by nasreen »

I am still new-ish to cross stitching and splashed out on 3 skeins of dmc metallic thread. they were quite costly where I am and it took a good chunk out of my wages but I thought they were very pretty. They were a nightmare to work with and definitely a disappointment to someone who is still finding their footing. I want to use them though and do not want them to go to waste so I was thinking that I might hold onto them and backstitch something with it one day, if I ever find the patience to work with it again.
frankattleborough

Post by frankattleborough »

I remembered a tip I was given when I was doing my 'three ladies'. As I have a lot of metallic thread on my HAED, the wings on the angel lady, I am using this method again.

Dampen a washing up sponge, lay the thread on it and double it over and run the thread through it. Use short lengths and you will find that it works easily.

Easy peasy as they say.
Smile and the world smiles with you

Work in progress

Family Coat of Arms - Finished
Spike in Charge (Kit) Restarted
Water Garden - Tapestry - will take about another year!!
Norwich Cathedral
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

frankattleborough wrote:

Dampen a washing up sponge, lay the thread on it and double it over and run the thread through it. Use short lengths and you will find that it works easily.
I actually have a little sponge (bout the size of a thumb) in a box just for this purpose ... although I mostly use it with rayons and shiney silks.
Myst..
AllStitchedUp

Post by AllStitchedUp »

Thanks for this thread, Rose! I'm a newbie with the metallics, and have to admit, this is the whole reason I found this forum in the first place. My pattern (a DMC Corp chart for Cross Stitch Mag) called for DMC Light Effects thread. I have hated the transition and working with this thread is difficult to say the least. I'll have to try my Thread Heaven so I can at least finish this pattern, but so far not a big fan of DMC metallics. My other WIP, a Nora Corbett pattern called for Kreinik and that was a breeze in comparison. The DMC tangled easy, didn't want to untwist when dangled and frayed badly. Had none of these problems with the Kreinik.

I'll have to try the Rainbow Braids at some point, but was hesitant to switch from what the pattern called for, being a newbie and all. I have appreciated all the comments and will be following this thread closely.
Enjoy!

~Nicole
(AllStitchedUp)

WIP:
Lily of the Valley, Nora Corbett
August Peridot Fairy, Nora Corbett
Alpaca Cria, Jo Lynch (my first HAED!!!)

Completed 2014:
Girl With Cosmos
Phoenix Rising
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

AllStitchedUp wrote:Thanks for this thread, Rose! I'm a newbie with the metallics, and have to admit, this is the whole reason I found this forum in the first place. My pattern (a DMC Corp chart for Cross Stitch Mag) called for DMC Light Effects thread. I have hated the transition and working with this thread is difficult to say the least. I'll have to try my Thread Heaven so I can at least finish this pattern, but so far not a big fan of DMC metallics. My other WIP, a Nora Corbett pattern called for Kreinik and that was a breeze in comparison. The DMC tangled easy, didn't want to untwist when dangled and frayed badly. Had none of these problems with the Kreinik.

I'll have to try the Rainbow Braids at some point, but was hesitant to switch from what the pattern called for, being a newbie and all. I have appreciated all the comments and will be following this thread closely.
You are not alone in not liking the DMC metallics. I don't think I have ever heard anything good about them. I know I think they are a pain to stitch with. I have used a lot of Kreinek threads, both the blending filaments and the #4 braid and have never had a problem with them. I have some Rainbow Braid I plan to try on the next pattern I have which calls for metallics.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

DMC are the worst metallic threads EVER, in my opinion--they do look soooooo pretty, but looks, at least in this case, are very deceiving!!! Kreinik can be fiddly, but at least also are tamed a lot by using the thread heaven. I think my favorites are the Rainbow Gallery metallic threads, I just wish that they were available at more places.
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs