Metallic Threads

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

stitchingmae

Re: Metallic Threads

Post by stitchingmae »

I thought people were just being picky when they were complaining of DMC metallic threads, but since I have used them..its like stitching with the hair from the mane of a horse...so stiff and frays. LoL.
I loke krenik #4 braid and sulky brand.
Cook

Post by Cook »

When you speak of Madeira thread do you mean the thread on sewing machine spools used in Embroidery machines? I hope so as I have a brand new box of shiny colors.
Spangoid

Post by Spangoid »

A huge thank you to every one who has posted tips! I have 2 DMC kits that use metallics and I was really nervous about it but today I decided to give it a shot and yep, they are horrible with how rough and stiff they are, but I have to say I enjoyed it much more than I was expecting!
kinley626

Post by kinley626 »

I'm working on a pattern that calls for Rainbow Gallery's Petite Silk Lame Braid. I love it. Not quite as much shine as a true metallic, but just enough to catch the eye with a bit of sparkle. And it's very easy to stitch with - no tangles or knots. I haven't had any fraying either, but I am using shorter lengths of thread.
Kinley Rose :rose:

WIP
Windswept (HAED)
French Country Kitchen Garden (Chatelaine)

A Place To Stitch
frankattleborough

Post by frankattleborough »

Until now I had used the method of damping my thread, I have said this before, but I recently noted that someone was recommending 'Thread heaven' something I used many years ago but not for metallic but just to stop kinking. However when I was in Cornwall a couple of weeks ago the shop I visited didn't have thread heaven but did have a paraffin wax block in a round plastic container with slits in which made it easy to run the thread through. I have tried this on my 'Memorilia' and found that it works very well. I have several hundred stitches to do in metallic thread which I wasn't looking forward to doing, but I now think this will present no problem with my latest acquisition. It is made by a Company called 'Hemline', http://www.hemline.com" target="_blank.
Smile and the world smiles with you

Work in progress

Family Coat of Arms - Finished
Spike in Charge (Kit) Restarted
Water Garden - Tapestry - will take about another year!!
Norwich Cathedral
TheOtherDrew

Post by TheOtherDrew »

I've had surprisingly good results using a no-name gold metallic sewing thread that I got a local dollar store. The strands are slightly finer than normal floss, but it looks pretty decent.
Kibakyu

Post by Kibakyu »

I think there's a very strong consensus on Rainbow Gallery's Petite Treasure Braid...and thankfully ABCStitchTherapy sells it by the bucketful by the looks of it. Kreinik can be good, I have used it on some projects and loved it - but that tends to be the thinnest blending filament kind that is very easy to work with, and treasure braid can probably be a very good replacement. DMC metallic, as I've just learned recently, is a lot like the thicker Kreinik metallic in that it is "stiffer" and harder to work with, so I'll be ordering some of that Treasure Braid in the near future to try it out!
WIP
Mighty Samurai (large)

~~~~ 好きにしろ! (Do what you like) ~~~~
sina28

Post by sina28 »

I just wanted to throw out that I have never worked with metallic threads yet, but I bought a few DMC ones and they are so pretty! Can't wait to try them out. They must be REALLY hard to work with or otherwise I assume I'll be quite happy using them.
Sina
frankattleborough

Have you read all of the advice on working with them Sina? Just to recap for you, Work with short stretches of thread, try damping the thread first or running the thread through a wax block it will work more easily if you do either of these. Happy Stitching.

Work in progress

Norwich Cathedral
sina28

Post by sina28 »

Thank you a lot Frank for the summary!
Sina
weeseechew

Post by weeseechew »

I have one metallic thread which I needed for one of my star trek cross stitch patterns...I found it difficult to work with...it is the DMC E3821 (gold)...I now have another cross stitch book which is asking for Kreinik Blending Filament #028 citron and Kreinik Fine #8...just wondering if what they were and where I would be able to find them in Canada...I thought I would be able to sub my metallic gold in but finding it way to frustrating to use so any suggestions would greatly help. Thanks everyone. :x
frankattleborough

So, Kreinik raises it's ugly head again. I couldn't find Kreinik in the UK so I substituted a metallic thread from another Company. I don't know what metallic threads are available in Canada, but all I can suggest is that you find one and use a thread which will not look out of place in what you are stitching. After all this is your project and provided it looks good then go for it. If you look at my 'Memorilia' that called for Kreinik, but I did what I have suggested and it worked.

Work in progress

Norwich Cathedral
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Rainbow Blending Thread by Glisten Gloss is another metallic option. For me it is pretty much anything but DMC metallics. Haven't tried them recently but I don't think they've changed much. I think it is important to remember that Kreinik comes in many different types of thread. This is something I learned over time. I have pieces that I stitched with Blending Filament alone because I didn't know about #4Braid, for example.
Blending Filament is great when combined with regular floss and adds a more subtle sparkle. Braid is easier, at least for me, to use by itself. I think it takes getting used to. There is also Thread Heaven which helps make the stitching easier.

I used to be able to get Kreinik threads at the big Craft Stores, but now if you don't have an LNS 123Stitch is a good online store. Don't know how much shipping is to Canada, but wouldn't think much more, if anything more, than in the US.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

My Lickle Ted kit came today and I noticed when sorting out the threads that I have one metallic thread as well as the normal cotton ones. Can anyone tell me what's the easiest way to use this thread? Won't need to use it for a while (it's for part of his foot) but any help would be appreciated. I read somewhere that it's best to use a smaller length than you would normally do and I'm assuming you can't use a loop start for this sort of thread either? :thinks:
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Generally when I use a metallic thread I combine it with a same color (or close to it) strand of floss because I prefer subtle sparkles and bling. Since I don't know what brand or type of thread is in the kit it is hard to say what would be best. I prefer either Kreinik or Rainbow Blending Threads. I do use shorter lengths of thread and loop starts aren't nearly as easy for me with the metallics as they seem to not loop easily. Lots of stitchers use Thread Heaven. I have some and have used it occasionally if I am having trouble with the thread behaving properly.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

It's a DMC metallic number E3852. Thanks might combine it with another colour. It's only for a dozen or so (mainly quarter) stitches.
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
Inkysloth

Post by Inkysloth »

frankattleborough wrote:So, Kreinik raises it's ugly head again. I couldn't find Kreinik in the UK so I substituted a metallic thread from another Company. I don't know what metallic threads are available in Canada, but all I can suggest is that you find one and use a thread which will not look out of place in what you are stitching. After all this is your project and provided it looks good then go for it. If you look at my 'Memorilia' that called for Kreinik, but I did what I have suggested and it worked.
UK-based folks, Sew and Sew ( http://www.sewandso.co.uk/" target="_blank ) do both Kreinik and Petite Treasure Braid.

(No affiliation, just a repeat customer!)
I lurk on Twitter & Instagram as @inkysloth
My print & calligraphy work is over at http://www.inkysloth.co.uk" target="_blank

WIPs
Geological map of the British Isles
Hand x-Ray
Ongoing string of small rainbow badges
Tessellating Escher-style lizard chair seat.
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

I'm stilll having trouble with the Krenik. I have not tried the parabin, however I tried Thread Heaven and Dritz beeswax.

I am having a good go with the DMC light effects. I just use short strands and give both ends an extra inch of room. :thinks: :wave:

WIPS
Classy Lady in Purple (I'm using Black in S310 & E310).
crhessel1

Post by crhessel1 »

Just joined and recently bought some metallic threads which I have yet to try, but am very excited about all of the tips here! Great variety of advice.
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

I am finally coming to my own when it comes to using Kreinik Metallics and DMC's Light Effects. I keep them in freezer bags. I am whizzing through the threads with very no more trouble than the regular floss.

Accepting advice on how to use the 1/8 Krenik Cord. :idea: I got this train pattern, but it doesn't really explain how to use the cord for the project?

I say keep tryin. :wink: They are worth it if you like bling (like me). I am using for Light Effects: B5200, E3821, E3747, & E898. Krenik: 032 (opalescence), 5555 (light gold), & 100HL (white lustre).

:wip:
Marilyn Monroe - Maria Diaz pattern
In the Garret - Paula Vaughan