turkey stitch

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

purple-footprints

turkey stitch

Post by purple-footprints »

Hi

Ive just come across this stitch in a set of designs from a booklet i recently bought.

I had never heard of this stitch before and wondered if anyone else had.

It gives instruction for the stitch, but the pics arent that good. It sounds like it works like backstitch, where you stitch the stitch in the opposite direction to which you progress in.
You do alternate stitches, leaving one really loose so the thread is on the top and leave avout an inch loose and then the next stitch is pulled tight like normal with the thread under the needle. Once completed you cut the long threads so they arent loops but individual lengths.

Looking at the pattern it seems like this stitch is used to make a kind of fringe/tassel.

Im intrigued to have a go, but must admit i dont completely follow how to do it. and i dont understand how the threads wont pull out.....
Denise

Post by Denise »

http://inaminuteago.com/stitchdict/stitch/ghiordes.html

found this website

Denise
xx

never heard of them before either lol
I've updated my gallery now xxx :-)
an_drea

Post by an_drea »

Thanks so much for this great site!! :D
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Thanks Denise, that was a great website. I have never heard of that stitch either .Linda
Linda
Rose

Post by Rose »

So do they tell you how the stitches are suppose to stay on the fabric. It looks as if it would all fall off if not done right.
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

Thanks those instruction, especially the pics, show how the stitch works much better.
Rose

Post by Rose »

A friend invited me to a store were you bring your projects and get together on Sunday and just have a day of fun with other stitchers. They manly do embroidery but some also knit and crochet and I have been taking my cross-stitch.

Anyway the reason I put it here on this thread is that at the store they have a couple projects that have the turkey stitch. The lady that owns the store said that she could show me how to do it. It is a very interesting stitch and would be cute to do bugs with. The projects at the store are done as beards on Santa's.
harsha

Post by harsha »

that looks very pretty. Thanks for sharing the site!