Pattern Making Programs

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

carolynbb

Re: Pattern Making Programs

Post by carolynbb »

I too am a Mac user and recently purchased Stitchtastic. It works really well for converting photos to patterns.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/32574/stitchtastic" target="_blank

My only complaint is that it shows the colors in a vertical column down the lefthand side of the screen -- I believe that once you create a pattern, it's supposed to only show you the colors that you're using. My version still shows all of the colors. This isn't a big deal, and if you print out the pattern, it only prints a list of the colors you'll be using, but it's the only bug I've found so far, so I thought I'd mention it. :lol:

It's a bit pricy at $95, but it was worth it for me since the majority of my work is done from photos. :wub:
WIPs:
Cats! (last updated 3/29/12)
Random projects for baby (last updated 6/9/12)
Engagement photo (last updated 6/9/12)
kellyJune

Post by kellyJune »

Hi, all! I was thrilled to see this post about pattern makers. I have been researching them for a while, but very apprehensive to buy. They can be quite pricey! I have a few photos I want to convert into patterns. I also have some charts I have made with sketches. I was wondering if any of you have used your own drawings to make patterns...and...how well do these programs work with this? I hope this is not a "duh" question!!!! I have really never used one of these programs at all! I have made my own patterns but all have been VERY simple and marked by hand!!!! Thanks! Need :coffee: !!!!
kellyjune
Rose

Post by Rose »

Yes I have made my own patterns from "scratch" so to speak. It takes time and you may make a number of changes along the way but the PC Pro that I use does a wonderful job and is easy to get to do what you want if you have the patients.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Zeb

Post by Zeb »

Thanks for the commentary ladies.
Created my first pattern with Adobe Photoshop, and decided that there had to be an easier way! XD

Am thinking more and more that I want to get PC Stitch Pro, but the only reason that I think I need it is the Auto Backstitching :roll:

It's been a while since people posted here though... any further recommendations?
Zeb A.
Keep Calm and Cross Stitch
http://www.ixari.net
agi

Post by agi »

Hi, Zeb, I have been using PCStitch Pro for more than a year now, and there are so many things you may want to use it for. I also started with Photoshop, but PCStitch is so much easier.
Although I still haven't managed to succesfully create my own photo-to-corss stitch pattern, I use the program for a lot of things. There are a lot of freebies out there in this format, and you can play with them as much as you want. You can change colours, add rows, elements, borders etc. I find it very useful when stitching some text, to find the perfect positioning. Also, I have a set of alphabets drawn for myself, so I just copy-paste the letters and it is really fast this way. When drawing symmetrical elements, you can use the mirror mode, or copy-paste and rotate - so you only have to draw one quarter.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
skitzzzzz

Post by skitzzzzz »

well i use dp software cross stitch pro plus platinum and its great. its done everything i have needed it to , the creator gives fantastic support always helpful and if you have an idea to add to it hes always happy to hear them and add them to the software if needed
i have had this one now for over 10 years and still dont need anything else
i tried a few others but this up to now for me is the best yes its a bit expensive but well worth it for me
W.I.P
Still Life with Roses GK
Frost GK

http://www.facebook.com/skitzzzzz" target="_blank" target="_blank
AiAi

Post by AiAi »

I use PM Stitch Creator 3.0.
I quite satisfied with the result, although you only can use max. 255 color.
The pattern color gradation is really good.
I have use it for some of my "wanna be" pattern. :wink:
Cannot found any better until now... but I'll keep searching.
WIP:
The Enterprise-D (Husband's Req., made by PM Stitch Creator) - 15.6%

UFO :
The Face of Jesus - 10%

Done :
Mother Mary (made by PM Stitch Creator)

WL :
Blossom Peony - by Pinn
Romantic Mandarin Duck - by Pinn
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

I know it's been said before, but I'm putting in my emphatic support of PC Stitch Pro. Absolutely fabulous program. I haven't tried any others to compare, but I'm really very happy with PC Stitch. I like to do photo-realistic work, and the program is incredible at true color-matching. The newest version allows for up to 250 colors, and now has most flosses and metallics (even Kreinik (sp?)).
Blog: http://ketta-ketta.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
kell

Post by kell »

I use KG Chart and love it - very simple to use. :)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

After getting some really good feedback here and trying out the MacStitch program, I would recommend it for anyone with a mac. Its a little harder to find programs for the macs, but this one was reasonable. Serinde's tips were very helpful too. I have made a pattern of one of my grandson's and can't wait to get to the store to get the aida cloth I will probably use. Don't have any around the house that haven't something on them. Also made a pattern for a friend of a beautiful butterfly on a rose from a photo she had. This is turning out to be more fun than I had even thought.

Hope you all have a good day. :wave:

Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
heartfelt

Post by heartfelt »

kell wrote:I use KG Chart and love it - very simple to use. :)
Be careful with it, there's apparently some issues with their DMC palette. I'm trying to compare it with a photo and I'm seeing some differences. The darkest blue, 939, is a brownish-black in the program. One of the greys (414) seems to be a violet.

I was using it but it seems like I'll have to search for another freeware. It's a shame, it was awfully simple to use.
sullyzgirl79

Post by sullyzgirl79 »

I am new to the pattern making process I have been looking at the stitch pro program but I am not quite sure any other programs out there that are easy to use.
Geosan

Post by Geosan »

I bought pattern maker by Hobby Ware and it is driveing me crazy. I have not been able to get one good pattern off of it. The pictures are blured. They don't have phone CS so no help there. Don't know wheather to scrap it or what. Just frusterated :cry:
caitief

Post by caitief »

Just wanted to let people know about a deal I found at Michaels. I found the PC Stitch in Michael's clearance for really cheap. I was fine with having an old version ( I mean really old), but when I installed it I could update for free.

So keep your eyes open!
WIP:

Mickey and Minnie holding hands
Alphabet
Starry Night w/Tardis

To start

A dalmatian
Parents dog
Minnie Thumper Dumbo

http://pinterest.com/caitiefl/charts-i-want-to-stitch/
reinke.amy

Post by reinke.amy »

For all of you who chose to use the linux operating systems, there is a free cross stitch software program called KX Stitch. I use it because Windows is a bad word in our home. LOL. It seems like a decent program but it has no libraries.

:wip:
Blackwork Samurai
Marilyn Monroe
A fish recieving blanket
Odalisque -- A public domain picture I imported to KX Stitch. It is a whopping 48"width (121.92 cm) and 32.13" height (81.60 cm). My husband had to build me a special frame just so I could work on it.
Mermut

Post by Mermut »

I use Hobby Ware's Pattern Maker and I'm very happy with it. I tend not to import photo's into, but it is very useful for making my own patterns and modifying existing ones.
When I do import photo's I tend to restrict the number of colors I allow it to use to avoid the random 1 stitch of a single color here and another there.

I find the library and font options very useful when customizing patterns.
I'm willing to suspend my disbelief,
But not hang it by the neck until dead.
katydid

Post by katydid »

I Everybody! I have used PC Stitch since it first came out. I upgraded to PC Stitch 6 and then to Pc Stitch Pro about 5 years ago. I love this program!! I have never had any problem with the program, and it automatically updates and checks my program for the newest version of PC Stitch Pro. Floss is updated when new products come on the market. It does specialty stitches, has so many fonts to use that you'd never run out of ways to do wording. The backstitch works to do single colors or multiple colors automatically, which is nice and quickly done. One thing I wish it would do is convert your patterns to PDF files. I suggested it to customer service and they thought it was a good idea. The other thing I wish it had is other templates to crop in different shapes like stars, diamonds etc. before you OK the look of the design to your work space. Don't think I would ever change to a different program, I love it so much.
KATE'S KROSS STITCH KREATIONS
http://kateskrossstitchkreations.ecrater.com/" target="_blank
LastingAllure

Post by LastingAllure »

I just bought PC Stitch Pro a few months ago, my mom and I are both into cross stitching so we bought it and were able to put it on both of our computers so we can both enjoy it and have our own collections. We just downloaded right from the site and it gave us a product code saying we can install it on as many computers as we like.

I have only had time to fiddle around with it a bit but I plan on turning some of my paintings and designs into patterns soon and trying to sell some in the area...maybe I will have enough to put together a book full of fairies and fantasy stuff with loads of metallics and beads....oh I am already getting giddy over it!! :D

But back to the product lol. We had the Hobby Ware thing and i hated it with a passion. I refused to use it and put off designing because it was pretty much impossible to import my images and get what I want. With PC Stitch though you can tell it how many colours you want and it will eliminate the small number stitches and focus on the more important colours. Plus it is fast.
penelopej7

Post by penelopej7 »

Hello friends,

I am not interested in using a pattern making programs, but is there anyone out there who designs graphs for others? There are some sayings that I would love to have graphed, some prayers, hymn lyrics, in sampler fashion or any other idea to showcase them.
Do any of you do this for people? I am certainly ready and willing to pay for it. These are things that mean a lot to me, and I would love to stitch them. I work FT as an RN, am out of town much of the time, and am not the least bit creative anyhow :wink:
Anyone?
Thanks and best wishes. I am inspired looking at everyone's finished work. I have started my "first" piece.

Penny
Rose

Post by Rose »

We have a few members that do designing. One is kell you can see her work here http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... 25#p381925" target="_blank the other member is skitzzzzz and you can see her information here http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... 10&t=12040" target="_blank
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror