Washing finished work

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Denise

Washing finished work

Post by Denise »

What does everyone use when washing finished pieces and how do they treat them afterwards...nearly finished the one I'm on and it's a bit grubby as since I'm attempting to frame it myself I want it to be clean as well. It is going to be an easter present....Any advice?

Denise
xx
I've updated my gallery now xxx :-)
catkin

Post by catkin »

:D This one has been talked about in the General section back in March. Have a scroll down to 'Do you wash your Project?' there a 2 pages of answers.

Joan
Denise

Post by Denise »

ok thanks
I've updated my gallery now xxx :-)
Becca

Post by Becca »

I still can't decide whether to wash mine or not, i know it must be a bit dirty but i'm still scared.
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

Becca you are not alone there.

Ive read all the tips on washing and ironing, but have been too scared to do either!!!

I did try to iron one project i did recently, as I wanted to frame it and i knew the ceases were too bad, but luckily they were on an area that wasnt stitched, so I just popped the iron over that one area, and it worked fine. But i didnt dare wet or wash it!

I know the thread say they are colourfast, but it doesnt seem natural to wet something that has black and white stitching on it!

I am encouraged by all of you who have have washed your stitching, and perhaps I will do it ..... sometime!
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

I always wash mine and never had any disasters. I explained how I wash my projects in the other thread
mvy_1

Post by mvy_1 »

It really is quite safe to wash your work in dishwashing liquid. It removes the grease and dirt from your work (it does not matter how hard you try to keep your hands clean, you still get the oils from your skin on your work, which then pick up dust particles and thats how your work gets dirty.). Just make sure you rinse it well and dry on a flat surface, pulling your work into shape as it dries. Iron whilst still damp with a clean soft towel underneath. This stops the stitches from flattening. Make sure your towel is preferably a white or light coloured towel so there is no chance of any dye coming through. There is nothing to be scared off. Many stitchers have tried this method before with great success.
Most threads are now guaranteed not to run when being washed. If your not sure about your threads try with a piece of scrap thread by washing it first and putting it on a light coloured towel or fabric to dry and see if any dye runs. It is mainly dark coloured threads that are the problem.
Good Luck.
Margaret

WIP
Anna Thies 1859 Sampler

Finished 2013
Spring Frost (Painting by Australian Artist Elioth Gruner)
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I think I am going to get brave and wash my next completed project, wish me luck Linda :lol: :!: :!:
Linda
inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

i have always washed my projects and i use the washing machine on the gentle cycle with liquid tide and then i iron it dry, however i have only tried this using Adia cloth oh and i never let the spin cycle go with is unless i am washing something else with it. i find if i wash it with regular cloths nothing happpens. i hope this helps somebody

Debbie
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

If the worst happens, and the red silk runs, don't panic. Just rinse, and rinse and rinse again in cold water until there is no colour left to run and it has been flushed out of the cloth. No disaster! Just a matter of keeping your nerve. Stitching gets grubby no matter how careful you are, as mvy_1 says.

Must say, I've never put anything in the washing machine, though... :!:
inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

i have never stitched with silk i have just used DMC floss an never had any problem of colours running

Debbie
blackaraknia

washing pieces

Post by blackaraknia »

Hi, all. one of the last pieces I completed I washed by hand. This way I was able to scrub the area that was not stitched with a toohbrush :idea:. I then dried it inbetween a white towel with something heavy over it to stop it from wrinklingnad it worked great :o . You may want to give this a try. :wink: :idea: it also helps to use a new toothbrush because you know that it is clean.
photostitcher

Finishing work

Post by photostitcher »

I followed your idea of cleaning the outside of the stitching with a toothbrush blackaraknia. The fabric came out a treat.

To dry my work I used a very thick towel, with an iron on medium heat.

I placed my work in between the towel (picture side down) and ran the iron over it. Not only did the creases come out, but the work dried quite nicely.
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

OK, I am going to try washing my towel.Everyone I have talked to says the same thing as the posts, dish liquid and lie flat on a white or very light towel. Wish me luck. I will let you know how it turns out.
Linda
Kas1

Post by Kas1 »

Here's my plan - I want to stitch a design onto a cashmere throw for the bed. I'm planning on using waste canvas to get the pattern on - but do I have to pre-wash ALL the colours first? I have to dye the wool from light pink (which shouldn't be too hard), but I'm worried that the colours will run into each other?

Any suggestions?