Hoops and Frames

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Ellie

Hoops and Frames

Post by Ellie »

Hi,
Does anybody have any tips on using a cross stitch frame with your work. I have a few different sizes of these and dont seem to be able to tension my work correctly, its fine left to right where the rollers are but I cant get the top to bottom tight enough, I have both the sew on type and the ones with clips.
I always end up reverting to my hoops instead. Any Ideas please...
:?
Rose

Post by Rose »

Ellie,

I had the same problem as you have with the tension on the frames they looked so nice in the advertisement but in reality were not to my liking. Also I could never get them to work with my waste canvas. So i have thrown them in the trash and I work with my hoops. I have more hoops anyway and in many different sizes. Sorry this is problably not what you were looking for. :cry:
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Ellie
Have tried frames before but like you find the tension is even, so now just use a hoop. Tend to stick to a couple of sizes but when using the larger ones, usually use a floor stand to hold it as I find my arm gets tried easily and it can be awkward hold the larger frame.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Thanks for replying, its as I thought I will stick to the hoops.
Denise

Post by Denise »

Just wondering I am using a hoop for the first time :oops: as don't want to get the aida too grubby or crumpled....will the hoop damage the stitching if I put it over a bit I've already done...need to move the hoop to do the top and bottom of current wip and don't want to incase it damages it...please advise...thanks

Denise
xxx
I've updated my gallery now xxx :-)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

The short answer is no, it won't hurt. There are two things that are generally advised: first, always remove the hoop when you have finished your stitching session; second, wrap your hoop with bias tape. I would add: use a hoop that big enough to enclose your stitching. If that's not possible, do remember to remove it when you are finished of an evening (or whatever). I find hoops useful; others don't. Any crushed stitches will soon recover. A light spritzing with water when the piece is finished, an iron (carefully!), and there you are. No problems.

I wouldn't advise putting a hoop over beads or stuff like that, of course!
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have always used a hoop and I move it around all the time. I do try to use a hoop that is large enough to stitch the whole patterm but that is just not always an option. But moving the hoop will not hurt your project.
catkin

Post by catkin »

I usually use the plastic hoops, which are actually frames for finished work, rather than wooden ones. I feel the wooden ones are a pain because of the screw which has to be tightened and loosened. The plastic frame has a solid inner ring and a rubber like outer ring which is simply pulled over the fabric and I think its gentler on the stitches. They come in all different sizes of round and oval. The really small ones are useful if your doing cards.
Joan
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have been rereading some of the post about using a hoop not just in this thread but in others also. One of the things that quite a few of you say is that when you are not stitching you remove the hoop from the material. I have never done this, I just set it down and walk away.

Why do you remove the hoop? I have never had a fabric distort. I have only used aida cloth and cotten fabric. Do some of the other fabrics stretch more?

When I am using the waste canvas I don't even like to move the hoop to finish an out side edge. The waste does tend to move and stretch so I have to be very careful. In my gallery you can see the angels that were done on the waste and they are great but it takes much longer to stitch. I really like the outcome but sometimes I ask myself why did you do this to yourself.
Denise

Post by Denise »

I've not been removing my hoop either, should i have been? The aida is fine from what I can see.....I'm just about to move it as need to start either the top part or the bottom part....but will keep you all updated via my gallery weekly

Denise
xx
I've updated my gallery now xxx :-)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I remove the hoop because the creasing can leave an almost permanent mark on the fabric. It often takes me quite a while to finish a piece, and I would have lots of concentric rings around the fabric if I left the hoop in place. The stitches will recover, but the fabric may not.