Washing Finished Projects

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

carolanne

Re: Washing Finished Projects

Post by carolanne »

reply to Jewels. if you are really worried, you could wash the unused thread and see what happens. You may find that it going to be all right, If they do bleed, then you've only done a little work and you can make your decision then about whether to go on or start over with a thread you trust.
Pisces57

Post by Pisces57 »

Do any of you wonderful stitchers have any advice for washing a piece that has metallic threads in it? :thinks:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Several of the afghans I have done have Kreinek threads or DMC Metallics. I put them in the washing machine on the gentle cycle in cold water. I have never had any problems. I don't know if that is because of the afghan fabrics (Anne Cloth or Charles Croft ) and if it would be different for other fabrics and sizes.

Carole
:)
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Rose

Post by Rose »

I do the same as you rcp and I have not had any problems. Mine are stitched on aida and regular cotton fabric.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
duskwynd

Post by duskwynd »

Hello :)

I always serge the edges of my canvas, so fraying has never been a problem :)

As for washing, I have only ever hand-washed and I only use Orvus equine soap. It's always gotten everything out (even spots/stains that I thought would be there forever and ruin a piece) and it doesn't leave any residue. You only need to use a teeny-tiny bit, so it lasts forever :)

Blessings!
Natasha
happygal63

Post by happygal63 »

I always follow the instructions that come with the kits and thats wash them in mild kitchen detergent, roll up in towel to get most of the moisture out of them, then lay flat on a dry towel when dry iron on the wrong side with a medium setting iron.
middithree

Post by middithree »

it scares me the thought of washing my cross stitch, i have that magic guide fabric so wont be able to avoid much longer. However i have abandoned a large project so going to cut out the stitching i have done and test it in the washer at 40. Has anyone else washed this magic guide fabric???
Sarah

current projects
- Haed Whats this
- Haed kathleen
- Haed Dream of Dahlia
- Regret (gothic)

Future projects
- Haed - gods hands
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I think that washing my stitching keeps my sink clean!
I wash most projects in my kitchen sink. So I first scrub it really well with Dawn to get all the grease gone, rinse that out, then fill it with cool water and a little bit of Fabric Care soap that I picked up at Yarn Tree (I've seen it at every stitching store I have been in~ I think its pretty common). It says its Orvus soap. The jar was $6, I've had it for 2 years and it looks like it hasn't been used. A little bit goes a looong way.
Let it soak in the soapy water, swish it around a bit, then I just rinse until the water is no longer sudsy. Hang it over the faucet to drip dry a minute or two, then it goes onto a bath towel to dry overnight, and ironed the next day.

I wash my fabric before I start stitching, any threads I think may bleed, and white threads that might pick up dyes. I usually wash a project somewhere in the middle of working on it, and then at the end. Except for my bookmark with a brown/green overdyed thread (which I didn't wash before using) I haven't had problems with thread or fabric bleeding. My last project was red fabric with white thread~ no problems.
GILLIAN

Post by GILLIAN »

Jewels526 wrote:This is freaking me out! I’ve already started my cross stitch and just noticed that the directions specify to wash and dry the thread before beginning. Consequently, I’m not sure if I should wash my cross stitch when I’m done because the colors may bleed. I’m working on a kit that has some other thread, not the usual DMC that I’m used to.

Any advice?
:?
I've just completed a Dimensions kit, not DMC thread either. I washed it yesterday with DAZ powder, hand washed with warm water and it came out absolutely fine.

Good luck x
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

Have you all seen those color catcher sheets in the laundry aisle. I wonder if one of these were put in the water when the stitchy items were washed would it prevent any colors running together?
Genghiscon

Post by Genghiscon »

I washed my fabric before starting a project for the first time last month. The fabric is a deep navy and I was concerned about the colour leeching into the light threads when I gave it a "bath" after completion.

First, I gave it a soak in a salt solution (1/4 cup dissolved in 2 litres of water) to set the dye. Then it was a quick hand wash with Ivory liquid soap, a roll in a towel and then a little hang dry time before pressing.

It is a DMC cloth and I'm happy to report that at no step did I see any dye escape the fabric.

Better to be safe then sorry, right? :roll:
I drank what? - Socrates

WIPs
Antique Map 5
Tinkerbell Afghan
Disney/Looney Tunes Character Christmas Afghan
VanGogh's Starry Night over the Rhone *paused*

Completed 2011
"Zombies Only Want You For Your Brains"
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

maemae0410 wrote:Have you all seen those color catcher sheets in the laundry aisle. I wonder if one of these were put in the water when the stitchy items were washed would it prevent any colors running together?
I use them in my darks when I have new dark clothing or reds to wash and you can see the extra dye on them at the end of the wash. I hadn't thought about trying them with threads. If you want to try it without buying a whole pack, let me know and I'll send you one to try.
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
Athalie

Post by Athalie »

Post by 321 »

I gently hand wash mine or put it in a washing net in the machine.I havent had any problems.
mimers

Post by mimers »

Wow, I have to say I have NEVER washed a finished project. I would be totally devastated if something happened to it - I often spend over a year on the big ones and to see all that work ruined. No thank you! ;)
http://x-stitchgirl.blogspot.ca/

WIP:
Warm and Fuzzy Kitten (Dimensions)
The Witching Hour (Mini HAED)
Celestial Spheres (Mary Hickmott Designs)

Completed Projects in 2017:
Hermit Baba (HAED)
vtwin

Post by vtwin »

I have also washed a dimensions project in mild dish soap and had no problems with it.
Wildflower

Post by Wildflower »

I think I have only washed one finished piece ever. I don't remember washing any others and the only reason I did the one was because I knocked over my coffee onto it. I used Dawn dishwashing and cold water and was able to get the stains out of the floss but it did leave a slight stain on the fabric. I was the only one who could see it but it always bothered me.
Carolyn
wanderingmedic

Post by wanderingmedic »

I usually handwash with warm water and Johnson's Baby Shampoo, and then dry it flat on a towel. I've done projects that have had metallic threads in and never had trouble with washing them the same way. After it gets to the point of being almost dry, I finish it off with a hairdryer on the warm setting to make sure that the water is definitely all out.
lala

Post by lala »

I agree with Mimers....in my 40a+ years of X-stitching I have never felt the need to "Wash" my finished project. I will dip it in a bowl of warm water just to block it and lay in out in between two white terry cloth towels and roll it up to get most of the moisture out of it then with a warm iron press it on the back til dry. I almost fainted when I read that some of the stitchers actually put their projects in a washing machine. LOL
ThatsSewEllie

Post by ThatsSewEllie »

Hi Everyone!!
I just have to say thanks so much for your tips and methods !!! It's the first time I had to wash any of my projects and I was sooooo scared about tackling it!! But an hour later, my finished project looks amazing !!!!!
I've posted a link to this thread on my Facebook page so people can read your great advice !! I look forward to reading / contributing to a lot more topics now I have found you!! :applesauce:
Kind Regards
Ellie
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThatsSewEllie" target="_blank
https://www.facebook.com/thatssewellie" target="_blank