Washing Finished Projects

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

SarahLSells

Re: Washing Finished Projects

Post by SarahLSells »

Thank you for all the helpful information.
monic39

Post by monic39 »

I never wash a finished piece because I never get the rinckles out and I think the stitches are flattened when I do. Never had any colours to mingle or stained or whatever. :whoop:
Sparklicity4

Post by Sparklicity4 »

I just want to thank you all for your awesome advice. I do have one more question that I didn't see mentioned, unless of course I somehow missed it. Do you wash over dyed fabric?
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Depends where it comes from. Some people who produce over-dyed fabric say you can wash their fabrics in cold or lukewarm water, other warn that you can't. If you do want to wash it, do so before stitching on it and let the rinsing water run clear. But the best advice I can give is "contact the person/company who dyed the fabric", they'll know best what you can and can't do with it!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

I don't know whether anyone has mentioned this before as I have not read all the way back. I wash my items by hand in lukewarm water but put salt in before I add a small amount of washing up liquid. I recently read in a x-stitch book about the washing up liquid but used salt before as it does stop colours running. When I was small most housewives did that to stop red or dark coloured knitted items from running.

I also add salt to the rinsing waters too (just to be on the safe side) then put item in a towel to soak up most of the moisture, patting it down. Then lay it flat on another towel until almost dry; finally iron it when damp & all wrinkles should come out. Maybe a bit too long winded for some of you as I've not done large pieces like many of you do. I will wash my' Faith' project the same way when completed though.
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
roo_bear

Post by roo_bear »

Since my very first, very anxious machine wash, I loved how clean my piece was. I now wash all my finished pieces on a delicate cycle in a lingerie bag with just a small amount of my usual detergent. I have never had colours run and I do believe it brightens the colours and whitens the aida (that's if you are using white aida as I normally do).
CreativeCanvas

Post by CreativeCanvas »

i appreciate this very much! i'm new to all of this so appreciate all the advice i can get :)
TheOtherDrew

Post by TheOtherDrew »

I've just finished a printed cross stitch that I had to wash. I didn't take any progress pics, but here it is before I cleaned it.

You can see the colour key was printed at the bottom of the aida. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't go away completely but it did.

I let it soak in cold water for about 20 min & lightly squeezed it out a few times. Here it is the next day after I hung it up to dry. (please ignore the wrinkles)

blessedtobehis1

Post by blessedtobehis1 »

Wow! Thanks for all the knowledge!
Diane1012

Post by Diane1012 »

I stained some white thread with some light black ink. Should I try to hand wash the area or just re-stitch? I haven't tried since I didn't want the stain to run.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Diane1012 wrote:I stained some white thread with some light black ink. Should I try to hand wash the area or just re-stitch? I haven't tried since I didn't want the stain to run.
If you think there's a possibility the stain will run, I might think about frogging the stained area and restitching it. I don't know much about pen inks, so I can't say if it will run or not. If it is copier or printer ink, I can be of more help.

WIP
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I've read through this feed - but I am wondering -- WHY do the kit manufacturers all seem to recommend against using Woolight when washing the finished project? I've been using it for 30 years, as it's what my mother-in-law taught me to do when she taught me how to stitch. I didn't see any posts from folks who ruined their projects using it. Also, while I'm stitching I keep a more than damp/almost wet white paper towel by my supplies. Each time I go to re-thread a needle, I run the thread through the paper towel. In addition to relaxing the thread and keeping it from twisting so much, this warns me if the thread is going to bleed because it will leave color smears on the paper towel. Call me a terrible, awful, lazy stitcher, but I just am not going to sit there and separate and pre-wash all of the floss before I start a project. :oops: I'm willing to change my washing/blocking habits if someone can chime in on why using Woolight is not recommended. Thanks!!
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

DisneyStitcher wrote:I've read through this feed - but I am wondering -- WHY do the kit manufacturers all seem to recommend against using Woolight when washing the finished project? I've been using it for 30 years, as it's what my mother-in-law taught me to do when she taught me how to stitch. ....

Woolite has some harsh chemicals in it that are supposed to have a detrimental affect on the fibers, not to mention that it leaves residues, which is never a good thing in the needlework. I don't think it's an immediate affect; likely a long-term negative affect. Conservators not only don't recommend it, they recommend against using it, so I don't. I never investigated further for an explanation because their word was good enough for me. If textile conservation groups, kit manufacturers and reputable experts say don't use it, I figure there must be something to it.

WIP
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

So what is the best thing to use? Dish soap and baby shampoo seem to be the most popular among everyone in this thread. I'd be hesitant to use dish soap because of the color dyes and scents these days. I'm really interested in your replies. Thanks!
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Have to confess I use the basic, cheap, non-bio washing powder in small quantities (half recommended). If it leaves residues, my skin can't feel them, my nose can't detect them and I can't taste them either. And using a more sensitive detector (my wife's skin) we can't find anything that way. So, for something of reasonable longevity, I think it's OK. If I expected any of my work to be good enough for my great-great grand kids to want to pass on, I might be more fastidious. As it is, I think not.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

DisneyStitcher wrote:So what is the best thing to use? Dish soap and baby shampoo seem to be the most popular among everyone in this thread. I'd be hesitant to use dish soap because of the color dyes and scents these days. I'm really interested in your replies. Thanks!

Orvus is what the conservators recommend and that's all I use. You can get it in small bottles as "quilting soap" or you can get it in big tubs sold as horse shampoo at your local feed supply store. It's the same stuff.
There is nothing added - so no coloring or fragrances. It's a plain, neutral, synthetic detergent that will leave nothing behind in your fibers.

It's also great as a clarifying shampoo, washing the dog, washing your delicates, et al.

WIP
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

richardandtracy wrote:Have to confess I use the basic, cheap, non-bio washing powder in small quantities (half recommended). If it leaves residues, my skin can't feel them, my nose can't detect them and I can't taste them either. .....
You can't taste it? Soooo...are you eating your needlework, Richard? :D

WIP
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Thanks for the reply! It so happens that my daughter's fiance's little sister rides horses competitively. I'm betting I can get a sample of that stuff for freebies!! :whoop:
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Allyn wrote:You can't taste it? Soooo...are you eating your needlework, Richard? :D
:oops: Err, no. Not quite.
We use the same stuff for all our washing and have done for years. It's not unknown for me, rarely, to chew on the corner of a handkerchief when I'm reading and I have a hanky in my hand (it usually come as a surprise to me when I find I've done it - means the book was very engrossing and I probably am hungry too). I'd taste the stuff then if there was a residue.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
kayjaybee90

Post by kayjaybee90 »

Hi guys,

I am fairly new to the whole cross stitch scene, I've made a few projects but mainly from kits. I am currently about a quarter of the way through my first project that I've undertaken by myself, i.e. not from a kit! I bought the pattern, went out and bought my aida cloth and threads etc... and foolishly started without really reading up on it. I now realise I probably should have pre-washed my threads!! All of my threads are DMC threads so I'm hoping that means they are pretty good quality but my piece is a Winnie the Pooh piece so there is a lot of red and now that I've been looking into it I think I should be pre-washing this thread before using it! I haven't started on the red yet but I have used both a pale pink and a darker pink for Piglet, neither pre-washed and I'm wondering if these are similar to the reds in terms of running?

I've never washed a finished piece before and am wondering what happens if you don't wash it? Also, considering I've so far not pre-washed any of my threads do you think it's worth trying to wash the finished piece or should I just leave it unwashed?

Eeeep! :doh:

Thanks to anyone who is happy to help out a newbie!