fluffy threads

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

welsh wendy

fluffy threads

Post by welsh wendy »

Hi :)

I am working on a project on red aida and the thread is cream but I am suffering from what I call fluffy thread. :roll:

I have tried usig only small lengths but it is still happening does anyone know of a cure :?:
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

I'm sorry I can't help you with a cure... but I'd like know the answer too! Especially with the Madeira Silk thread I've been using for the Snow Princess... It's fluffier than the cat when he's got his bushytail! I'm kind of hoping it will sort itself out when I iron it... *hoping...*
fairie56

Post by fairie56 »

I've never suffered from fluffy thread, but I've read that you can either: dampen it before stitching, or use Thread Heaven. Hope the idea helps.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Is the problem the thread is thick and the aida is of a small size? Or maybe this was a kit that used a lower quality thread? Either way this has not been a problem that I have run into since I use DMC and it is a very good quality thread. The Thread Heaven is a good product and I use it with the metalic thread at all time. Never seems to be a problem then. Try that other wise I am at a loss to help.
inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

hi

i was also going to suggest thread heaven as i use this all the time or you can even get a antibactieral sponge wet it and then you run the thread down it to moisten it slightly. this works great especially if you are blending threads together. My supplier actually sells little sponges in a case just for this purpose and i would not be without either the sponge or the thread heaven

Debbie
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

Rose wrote:Is the problem the thread is thick and the aida is of a small size?
That wold be it for me... normally I don't have this problem, but with the silk threads it's horrendous! Well... they are thicker than Anchor that I normally use.
welsh wendy

fluffy threads

Post by welsh wendy »

Hi :)

Thanks for the advice.

Pardon my ignorance but what is thread heaven and how do you use it :oops:
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

Thread Heaven is like a wax that coats and protect the thread. You can see it here http://www.sewandso.co.uk/ran1439-0.html , most craft stores aell it now!
welsh wendy

fluffy threads

Post by welsh wendy »

Thanks stitchingagain :)

Does this make the finished project stitcky :?:
inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

Hi Wendy

No it doesn't make it sticky you use very little of it and i would not be with out this product Here in Canada it costs about $6 so maybe 3 quid. i hope this works with you

Debbie
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

Hi there,

I just discovered thread heaven a month or so ago, when I was browsing sew and so website. I bought it on a whim, thinking if it doesnt work Ive not lost out on alot of money.

I have to say it is fantastic, I would recommend it to anyone. It is fantastic on metalic type threads.

Im not sure if it would work with silks, but I read somwehere about storing metalic threads in the fridge. Im not sure how this made any difference, and Ive not tried it myself.