seed beads

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

purple-footprints

seed beads

Post by purple-footprints »

Hi all,

Im dying to have a go stitching with seed beads. I have a design, and have ordered my threads and beads.

I have read and reread mags with tips and instructions on using beads. they all advise the same, come up first corner of cross, thread on the bead and stitch down. Then come up for the cross or 2nd arm, and separate the thread to go each side of the bead, and finsh the cross.

I was talking to a friend the other day who has stitched with beads, and she said this wouldnt work because the needle wont go through the bead. I have bought some beeding needles but the eyes are so tiny the threads wont go through.

What I thought was going to be fun, is now becoming a nightmare.

So how do you use beads. what needles should i use.
catkin

Post by catkin »

I've done a little work with beads, one small notebook cover and have added beads to enhance some designs. The way I did it was as if i was doing a half cross stitch / come up thread the bead on the needle and then go down through the fabric. I used a normal sewing needle not a tapestry one.

Joan
inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

hi
When i worked with the seed beads i attach them with a special seed bead needle made by mill hills and it saves me alot of time. i attach them to the pattern using a half stitch and then putting a stitch to the left of the bead and the stitch to the right of the bead but using the same holes as the half stitch. What this does is actually anchors the bead in better so that is doesn't move around. A wish a could drow you a pic as it would be easier to show you then describe it to you. I have done three barbara bataz angels and they all contained beads and it really just finished of the piece.

Debbie
purple-footprints

Do those needles allow you to thread the beed and still have 2 strands of thread??

I think Im happy with the stitching part of using beads, although if there ever was a way for a visual picture it would be great. My main concern was with the needle so the thread and the bead still went through.

thanks for the advice.
welsh wendy

seed beads

Post by welsh wendy »

Hi

When I used beads then I did find it a problem getting a needle through but after a while trying various I did find one.

I used a cross stitch to keep them in place, what I did find was that some of the beads holes are different so It was just trial and error to find the one the needle went through.

Hope you have fun it really is worth while.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I use a long sharp beading needle and one ply of thread the colour of the cloth. I use a half cross stitch through the bead. I think Becca's idea of anchoring is a good one. :idea: I also put my beads in a shallow saucer so I can get at them more easily. There are all sorts of gadgets on the market to make using beads simpler (and to part you from your hard-earned cash!)

Bead holes are likely to be different just because some beads are deformed. Chuck them out.
Smilga

Post by Smilga »

I used special beading needles and Wonder Invisible Thread, and I didn`t have any priblems.
purple-footprints

Hi,

Im jusr wondering if anyone else has any more comments to add.

Im about to start a design with beads from a amgazine. I understand the instructions on how to anchor the bead, and they suggest using thread the same colour as the bead.

Is this what you guys tend to do. someone said they use the thread the same as the fabric.... what difference does this make, which is better? someone else said invisible thread.... again what are the pros and cons.

The beads I shall be using are white and ice blue, so very pale colours, I had thought to use just normal white floss. It says to use two strands, I just hope I can find a needle to hold two strands and still go through the bead.

Wish me luck!
Becca

Post by Becca »

I just remembered i used some beads once, i used them to make a border around something, can't remember what right now and that is going to annoy me. But anyway i couldn't find a needle small enough to go through the beads so i ended up having to thread them by hand, took quite a while.
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

When sewing on beads I used the method suggested in the magazines using two threads. I use a thin sewing needle.
blackaraknia

needles for beads

Post by blackaraknia »

:idea: I would do what lindagibb says use a thin sewing needle. My neice wanted to thread some beads and that is what I used to help her :) This way you can fit the thread through and still put your beads on. :P
purple-footprints

Thanks everyone for your help, Ive been stitching away, and Im almost ready to attempt to attach my first ever beads!!! I will let you know how it goes. Im flat out trying to get an assignment done this weekend, but Im determined to try and make time.

I have another question about these beads. I understand the magazine method, and i will be attaching my beads like this. From how the chart looks, it almost looks like a bead instead of a cross stitch (expect for the fact it attached with a cross stitch). On the chart the bead symbol is shown instead of a cross stitch symbol. I completely understand that.

but I have come across charts where the bead is to be attached at the corners on the holes, like a french knot often is. How do you attach beads in this position coz you cant use the magazine method??
Becca

Post by Becca »

Maybe if the bead was over a hole you just bring the thread up through the hole, thread the bead on, then put the thread back down through the same hole, in theory the bead is big enough to not go through the hole.
blackaraknia

Post by blackaraknia »

Good :idea: Becca, I would do the same thing. You ladies have given me and others lots of tips on how to attach beads. I am now looking forward to doing a project with beads in the future. Right now I have to many projects on the go. :oops: I have promised a nice one to a friend :lol: and don't know when I will get it started. to many UFO's :shock:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

We all have too many UFOs! It's part of the fun. :?: :!:
purple-footprints

fun yes, as long as you havent promised them for presents/occasions, and have all the deadlines approaching!