framing using mounts

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

purple-footprints

framing using mounts

Post by purple-footprints »

Hi everyone

First let me appologise for not logging on recently. I have been up to my neck and drowning in study demands. In addition Ive been having computer problems. I am completely ignorant when it comes to technology, so goodness knows when I can get sorted out.

anyway I have a question. I have been stitching and framing my finished designs. I have also used a mount, and I have to say that so far I have been quite proud of my acheivements.

I have several charts and designs, one of which Im currently working on, that have a picture of the finished design framed using 2 or even 3 different coloured mounts. I think the effect this gives is great, especially when the design has alot of colours.

The thing is, I found when framing my last project using one mount I had a terrible job getting the back of the frame back on. It quite literally only just fitted. How on earth would you frame something using more than one mount??

I have even gone as far as going to the shops and examining the different frames, and they all use the same principles. I cant afford to get a professional to frame my work, so I really would like to know how to do this.

Sue
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Wondered where you were. :!:

I'm not a framer, but the problem seems to be the sheer thickness of all the mounts not fitting into the frame along with the stitching. Yes? Would it be possible to substitute one or more of the coloured mounting cards with thinner stiff coloured card? Not sure how you would do this (cut an aperture? glue in place?). That might sort out the thickness problem. :?:
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

Get a deep frame! I have framedstitching with up to triple mounts without problem, but it really has to be a quite deep frame, otherwise there will be no room to squeeze in the mount.
welsh wendy

framing using mounts

Post by welsh wendy »

Hi :)

Yea I go along with stitchingagain and use deeper frames.

I used to work in a framing place and there they had frames with different depths for mounts with more than one layer. These might cost a bit more but are worth it. :)
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

Hi

Thanks for all that. I think you are all right, it needs deeper frames. Any ideas where to buy them? Is it something only professional framers sell? Im afriad I a bit of a cheap skate, I have been buying my frames in wilko stores. those from the UK should know what I mean. The most expensive fram Ive recently bought was 4.50 but it was 10 x 12!