Which way do you stitch?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

NeedleAndFork

Re: Which way do you stitch?

Post by NeedleAndFork »

cairee wrote:I have one project that the stitches are going \\\ then /// Im actually stitching it sideways, bottom to top rather than left to right. the back ( once its turned right way up) is ======
the reversed crosses was unintentional, I noticed it after a while and decided to stick with it rather than frog and restitch.
I did that recently on an ornament I was working on - the fabric fit best in a 6x8 qsnap, and to make it easier to stitch I turned it sideways and worked that way... so while the stitches went /// followed by \\\ while I was stitching, when I turned it around the right way, they were reversed. Didn't bother me as it was consistent through the piece.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
kmummy77

Post by kmummy77 »

I generally start smack in the middle and work my way out from there. I sometimes use a thread until it has been completely used then work on the next symbol from there. I sometimes have to change whether I start stitches at the top or bottom, depending on whether I need to head up or down (current work has a few curves). When I first began stitching I stitched a line of //// then went back and finished the stitch, but realised that my current way of x one at a time is much neater for me. May waste more thread but I don't mind.

Kirsty

WIP
Angel of the Morning
Isabella's garden
Enchanted alphabet
pippahall

Post by pippahall »

I've been trying to work from the bottom of the stitch to the top as I thought this was the correct way to do it but it seems that so long as I always do it the same way it doesn't matter so I'll go back to the old way it seems right for me. Thanks for the replies - great forum. :D
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

I think the reason this is usually considered the 'correct' way is that most people work from the top of the pattern downwards, so when you start your stitch at the bottom, you're pushing the needle up through a 'clean' hole that doesn't haveany stitching in it yet. It is easier to push up through a clean hole and push down from the front through what is sometimes called a 'dirty' hole - one that has stitches already using it. The reason for this is that you want to make sure that your needle doesn't split the threads that are already there and it is easier to avoid that when pushing down from the front as you can see the stitches.. when coming up from below it can be hard to see and sometimes it's hard to avoid splitting the threads.

That said.. if you're liking the way your stitching looks.. rules be damned, do it the way you want!
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Lori0

Post by Lori0 »

If it is wrong, then half of my finish projects are wrong. I stitch both ways. Always the same way until project is complete. But it only depends on which hand is primary when I start stitching a new project. But this is the same with writing too.
[/iLoriO]
WIP
Crawfish Boil- Leslie Wristers
Nighttmare Before Christmas-charted by me
As of 2/9/2014 MIA
Antique Shoe Collection= Bucilla. start 3/31/14 from stash
vickil

Post by vickil »

Getting ready to start my first HAED and the first time I am stitching on evenweave. I have watched all the videos and read all the blogs and I am totally confused now after read this post.

I finally got to cut my fabric yesterday, 25 ct lugana. Did I say I have never stitched on fabric? Always aida. So I was able to do some test stitching. 1. Figured out I need new glasses. :lol: 2. I really like the lugana. 3. Did not like 2 over 1, but really enjoyed 1 over 1.

According to the blogs, etc when you are stitching on evenweave you need to change the way you stitch so that the floss will not slip under the fabric threads. Have study this method, but the force of habit has not let it sink in yet. So, when I tested on my fabric I just stated stitching as I normally do. I start in bottom left corner to top right, then bottom right to top left. /////// them \\\\\\\. I did not alternate where I started like the blogs instructed. But, I did not have any problems with the floss slipping either. I have a picture, but need to get set up to post photos. I will try to get that done today. So, am I doing it correctly or not? Do I have to worry about the floss slipping?

Thanks
Vicki
WIP :whoop: :whoop: FINISHED

Wolf Variant-HAED Mini Yellow Roses-HAED
Tea and Roses-HAED
A Family Tradition-Mystic Stitch
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

mechie wrote:
I stitch the same direction you do, although I start from the top as opposed to the bottom (so top left to bottom right, then top right to bottom left). I don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong way to stitch, just what is comfortable for each stitcher. As long as all of your stitches are going the same way, stitch them in whatever direction you'd like (at least that's my take on things :D ),

mechie

That's how I stitch as well, no matter if I happen to be going from the left to the right or the right to left, I do \\\\\ and then ////// for the top leg.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

If you're stitching one-over-one full crosses on evenweave, if you don't tent-stitch the botton leg, your stitches could slip between the fabric threads. If your tension is on the loose side, you may not experience that problem. If you're happy the way you're doing it, keep doing it; but just be aware that it could happen because the fabric threads aren't anchoring your stitches. They're just kinda floating there.
If you do 'regular' full crosses (or do half crosses), this is what can happen to your bottom legs:
Image.

Another benefit of tenting the bottom leg is there is enough room to anchor tails on the back. Even using waste/away knots, you'll eventually have to anchor some tails. You may not have a problem doing 1-over-1 full stitches. When I work on 25-count lugana, I tent 2-over-1 (2-over-1 full crosses is just too bulky) and trying to anchor tails when doing half-crosses instead of tenting can be a mess.

WIP
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

On my HAEDs I do as you do, I tent stitch 2 over 1 on 25ct evenweave. I've found it to be the best method for me, and my tension is good enough that coverage is not an issue.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
HarrisonDavies

Post by HarrisonDavies »

I stitch /// bottom left to top right and vary whether I complete the stitch there and then or run back with \\\ bottom right to top left.