Review sites you've ordered from

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

crystalangel

Re: Review sites you've ordered from

Post by crystalangel »

i also go with sew and so,have been using them for many years ,they are excellent
LauraR

Post by LauraR »

In the UK I use:
SewandSo
Polstitches
K@tzcrossstitch
BlackSheepWools
Sewalong
Sewdiscounted

In the US I use:
123stitch
stitchesnthings
stitchingbitsandbobs **
justneedlin
downsunshinelane
abcstitchtherapy **
anitaslittlestitches
heavenandearthdesigns
mistydreamz

I also use creative poppy & artecy for charts.

** Only complaint I have is sometimes slow on posting.
LauraR
caitief

Post by caitief »

I have only used 123 Stitch so far but I am impressed! I ordered something on a Thursday, they confirmed shipping on Friday and it was at my door by Monday. That is FAST compared to most places. And they didn't charge me an arm and a leg for shipping!
WIP:

Mickey and Minnie holding hands
Alphabet
Starry Night w/Tardis

To start

A dalmatian
Parents dog
Minnie Thumper Dumbo

http://pinterest.com/caitiefl/charts-i-want-to-stitch/
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I'm getting more and more disenchanted with Tandem Cottage, unfortunately :-(. Until a year ago I would have (I did!) recommended them whole-heartedly and without any reservations -- a small business with very personal service, helpful, affordable, only sometimes just a little slower in sending stuff than giants like Sew & So.

But since last year I've been having no end of trouble; you may remember the Caron threads which I waited for for nearly three months before cancelling. Well, as I wanted a thread which they carried and Sew & So does not (they said it was discontinued, which it isn't) I ordered that plus some DMC perles and Mill Hill beads.

I ordered on the 21st of February, and received part of my order on the 28th. The Caron thread was missing, which I wasn't surprised at (they'd added a note to the invoice saying they'd asked for it to be sent as soon as possible), but also all three DMC perle #8, and one of the Mill Hill beads.

When I still hadn't received anything by 17th March I emailed them to ask if they could give me a date for the rest of the order. No reply. So today I rang and got the lady's mother, who helps out and who for the past year has been the one I usually spoke to. She said how odd that I hadn't had a reply, was it in my spam folder perhaps? (it wasn't). She also said she wasn't surprised I hadn't had the back order yet as DMC were terribly slow in supplying their perle threads. Her daughter will look into it tomorrow and contact me.

Whatever the reply, I'm afraid this is going to be my last order from them. I feel a bit guilty for not supporting them anymore, as I know how difficult it can be to run a small, two-man business, but I think their service is simply not up to scratch.

(Another odd thing is that their website has changed (looks much more modern) but lots of the stuff they used to sell (including the threads I'd ordered) isn't there. So I asked and she said they are setting up a new website and it takes forever to put everything in -- which is true, of course, but I'd expect them to do that "behind the scenes" and show the new website when it was fully ready. but that's just an off-topic niggle :-))
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
mags

Post by mags »

Yes, I agree. I wanted to order some crochet cotton for Mum which I usually get from Tandem, but their old website was "down for maintenance" and when the new one appeared, it wasn't listed, so I went elsewhere :? Might look back in the future.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
donlou

Post by donlou »

I have also almost given up hope with Tandem Cottage. In about October last year I ordered a small flexi woodgrain frame but was told it was out of stock despite them taking the money for it. I have emailled them a couple of times and just got the response that their supplier was out of stock but that they would get some more soon. It has now been months since I heard from them last and I have given up on getting it. I have ordered from them since and everything has been fine (except a little slow on delivery). I just wish they hadn't took the money, it may not have been much (only 1.55) but I have paid that for nothing, and it was bad form for them to take it if the item was out of stock :( .
My Blog: http://donnascrossstitch.blogspot.com

My Cross Stitch Rotation:
Fractal Bookmark 268
QS Siberian Tiger (HAED 2012 SAL)
Waterlilies
Wizard
Dolphins
Oakhaven Cat 2012 SAL
The Great Escape SAL

Morning Project: Arbre
Ruthi

Post by Ruthi »

I ordered some DMC floss from sian2407 on ebay. I ordered on Sunday night, it arrived this morning (Tuesday, so effectively next day!).

42 skeins for £15.60 including postage, which works out at 37p per skein. As far as I can tell its the real deal!

How good is that?

(if you aren't an ebay member pm me and I can give you Sian's email address)
devon ann

Post by devon ann »

I find Sew and so.co.uk a good site I have ordered from them for many years and never had a problem.Usually next day delivery if order goes in before midday.
Devon Ann.
Mabel Figworthy

DEFINITELY stick with Sew and So!

I wrote to them this morning saying that the Caron Snow they had told me was discontinued was actually still available according to Caron, and would it be possible for them to order it? Also a Threadworx perle #5 which was not on their site but available according to Threadworx. I said I would be placing an order soon, and if they were willing to order them for me I'd mention them in the comment box. Here's the reply I got just now:

"These two products are now on our website. We will order them in for you, and you can now put them on your order."

They've added them to their website just so I could easily add them to my order :shock: -- is that great service or what :-)?
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Ruthi

Post by Ruthi »

Barnyarns - my lamp arrived, well packed the very next day. Good communications too. All at an excellent price, and post free.

The Cross Stitch needle shop http://www.crossstitchneedleshop.co.uk" target="_blank" target="_blank recommended by Mabel, my gold needles arrived the very next day. Unfortunately they sent me 26s instead of 28s by mistake, but have replaced them and told me to keep the 26s. A well handled complaint always makes me a loyal customer!

The jury is still out on Siesta frames. I ordered a frame which I am hoping will fit on my lap frame at the same time as I ordered from Barnyarns. No proper confirmation that they have my order, other than the confirmation from the credit card company that the money has gone through, and no frame either.

ETA the frame arrived today. Is nice, so my review is basically positive, but not gushing.
Last edited by Ruthi on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

http://www.xstitch4u.com" target="_blank has the cheapest skeins of plain DMC and Anchor I've found so far (45p each - the next cheapest I found was 62p) and they are on the ball. For instance, I placed an order with them recently for one each of a number of different DMC colours and 17 skeins of a particular shade of blue (for a sampler). I placed the order on a Saturday, and on the Monday I got a phone call from them asking me if I really wanted 17 skeins of one colour or whether it was a typo - just so they wouldn't overcharge me. Now THAT's what I call customer service! They also do aida, etc. I received my order within a week, the DMC and Anchor were separated into separate bags and in number order. I will definitely be using them again (and again and again ..., judging by the projects I've got lined up!).
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

I am afraid I have to agree with everyone above re Tandem Cottage. They used to be my go to shop for fabric and accessories (I get my DMC/Anchor from Across Town Stitching) they were always just a bit cheaper than everyone else and I liked the fact that I was supporting a small business. Just before they started to change over their website I became a member of their evenweave fabric club. I only received one pack and despite numerous emails received no replies from them whatsoever, I wouldn't have been offended even if they had just emailed to say they had decided to discontinue the club!

I am now a regular customer of Sew and So and can not fault them on their customer service and the wide range of threads and fabrics they offer. Every order I have placed with them I have received the next day :dance: (i'm not very patient...!)
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
xstitch1

Post by xstitch1 »

Ladies, have you bought threads from ebay? I found the cheapest DMC skeins on ebay, especially if you buy 10 or 20 skeins, it comes up as £0.34 a skein. And I received them after 3 days!
Chrissyml

Post by Chrissyml »

Has everyone had positive experiences with 123stitch.com? I recently ordered a frame from there and was shocked to get an email that didn't include the order #. The email said my order had been shipped and that I'd get it shortly.

This is all the email said:

"Just wanted to let you know that your order from
http://www.123stitch.com" target="_blank" target="_blank was shipped today!

You will soon be receiving...

Qty: 1 Lap-Stitch Frame - Mini Mini

Thank you for choosing 123stitch.com and please
let me know if I can find anything else for you!

Joanne
-----
1-2-3 Stitch! (TM)
http://www.123stitch.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
1-800-996-1230
1-801-495-0908"

That was 2 weeks ago.
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Chrissyml wrote:Has everyone had positive experiences with 123stitch.com? I recently ordered a frame from there and was shocked to get an email that didn't include the order #. The email said my order had been shipped and that I'd get it shortly.

This is all the email said:

"Just wanted to let you know that your order from
http://www.123stitch.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank was shipped today!

You will soon be receiving...

Qty: 1 Lap-Stitch Frame - Mini Mini

Thank you for choosing 123stitch.com and please
let me know if I can find anything else for you!

Joanne
-----
1-2-3 Stitch! (TM)
http://www.123stitch.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
1-800-996-1230
1-801-495-0908"

That was 2 weeks ago.
I have ordered from 123stitch.com several times recently and have always had very good luck with them. I would send them an email and tell them that your order hasn't arrived yet. If you are in the U. S. they usually get the order to you within days of when they send the email saying it has been sent
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Ruthi

Post by Ruthi »

I won't order from Sew-it-all again. I ordered three FQs of cotton,

The 36 count white isn't cotton, its Jobelan cotton mix. I hate synthetics, but I really want to get started, so I'll use it.

The 32 count white is 25 count

The 25 count red is fine

They were fairly slow to despatch, there were absolutely no communications, and no email confirmation of the order, and now they've ignored my email about the wrong fabrics for a whole day.

Mumble mumble....
Mabel Figworthy

I too have found them slow and not very communicative, which is why I only buy from them when i see them at the Knitting & Stitching show -- at least I can be sure I get the right thing, and I get it without delay!

I'm sorry you don't like the 36ct; it's one of my favourites for fine work but then I do like the cotton/mix fabrics. But calling them 100% cotton on their website is misrepresentation and you would be entitled to return it to them and get a refund, including postage and return postage.

Having said that, I don't think you're going to find a 36ct cotton very easily -- most 36ct is either linen or this Fabric Flair material :-(
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Ruthi

Post by Ruthi »

They list it as 100% cotton, Mabel, but I have handled enough of the stuff to know the difference. It'll do the job, and it might even grow on me, but I am very fussy about my fabric, hate Aida, hate synthetics.

I have now had an email, it appears that they listed some 25counts among the 32s. How one is supposed to tell when the individual fabric in the listing doesn't mention counts. It does show if you click on the 'more information' button, but clearly, if you are looking through a list of allegedly 32 counts you don't expect to need to check what count the fabric is, and I don't think I bothered with the 'more information', because I ddn't feel I needed any. They say its been fixed, but I can still see them on the website.

As you say, in future only at shows! Its a shame, because if I got what I wanted in reasonable time it would be good value. And I don't think I'll make a show before Ally Pally. I couldn't face a show on crutches.
caitief

Post by caitief »

This one is very specific, but thought i would review it. It is NCAA Sports Outlet. I ordered a pattern on Sunday and it got to me today. The speed was good, but it is just a printed out pattern from a computer. It is a great pattern and all, i was just hoping it would be on a larger piece of paper or something for the price.

But, if you are looking for NCAA patterns, it is really nice and I can't wait to stitch it!
WIP:

Mickey and Minnie holding hands
Alphabet
Starry Night w/Tardis

To start

A dalmatian
Parents dog
Minnie Thumper Dumbo

http://pinterest.com/caitiefl/charts-i-want-to-stitch/
Juel

Post by Juel »

I ordered some things by 1-2-3-stitch on Friday, got an email that it's on it's way on Saturday. Anyone from Europe ever shopped with them? Do they sent things by airmail? I'm trying to calculate how long it will take until the things are here. Packages by airmail are likely to take 4-6 weeks on their way to Germany, the funny thing is that a usual letter by airmail takes only one week :lol:
I paid 14$ for the shipping so maybe I'm lucky and they sent things by ups or something like that, they are usually a bit fast ;)
W.I.P
Kreimhild's Revenge - Haed
Das Rheingold - Haed
Yule Angel -Haed
QS Theatre of the Absurd - Haed
Starlight - Haed
Eternal Promise - Haed

Finished
SK Storykeeper, QS Book End Kitties (Haed)

My Blog