Storing W.I.P's

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

welsh wendy

Storing W.I.P's

Post by welsh wendy »

Hi there :wink:

If you have any w.i.p.'s to store first roll them in a towel or pillow case before putting them in a plastic bag.

This will stop your stitches being squashed and also if you are storing them for a long time in a plastic bag then the towel will absorb any condensation.

See you soon :lol:
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

thanks for the tip there!
tab72

Post by tab72 »

Hi there i was told by a framing shop the best way to store them was roll them up in tracing paper this helps to stop them turning yellow and by rolling them and putting them in a tube they don't get squashed just an idea.

tracey :roll:
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Must say that I generally fold my wips and put them in a plastic bag. Once I finished a work I give it a gentle wash, roll it in a towel to take out the excess water then iron on the reverse until it is dry. Find this restores any squashed stitches. I do roll then round a tube to take them to get framed.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I put my small WIPs (I still like the term UFO -- sometimes it is a bit of an alien invasion after all!) in plastic sandwich bags, but only use plastic when I'm reasonably certain I will return to them soonish. Larger projects which have turned into UFOs are rolled up and shoved into old pillowcases. I seem to have a lot of these; not sure why I seem to collect old linen. (Anyway, I'm unlikely ever again to use the chocolate and cream pair which, when laid out, spell "Hersey's Kisses"... wedding present, so I'm not responsible for deplorable lapse in taste. :P )
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

*feeling guilty* As I stitch I just stick my work under pillows or blankets (really... just scrunch it up, and hide it) so the cat can't get to it. I also have a habit of eating and smoking while I stitch (still... never managed to get a stitching dirty, though)... and everything has more cat hairs than threads sown into it! lol!
inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

i have to agree with stiching again as i do they same thing or i leave it on the table and just cover it with a towel so that when my cats jump up on it they don't get the hair over it. Floss occasionally finds its way it some of the strangest places courtesy of the cats ( 5 of them). So i guess i am quilty as well and l am glad that i am not the only one
:oops:
catkin

Post by catkin »

I do the same and leave it out but also have cats who are fascinated when I stitch and love to sit on my knee and on my precious stitching.
:( One word of caution if you have cats. I watched a vet programme on BBC Prime last night and they had to do surgery on a poorly cat. It turned out it had eaten some thread which was causing all sorts of problems in it's gut. The vet said if left it would have been fatal. So leave your stitching out if you like but please make sure all threads (and needles) are put out of your furry friends reach to avoid any mishap.
Joan
Becca

Post by Becca »

Every time i go out of the room i have to hide my cross stitch back in its bag for fear of my cat sitting on it or something.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Our Siamese used to position themselves, quite knowingiy and with malice aforethought, in the most awkward places they could: sitting in the middle of the chart, curling up on a lap just underneath a piece so you couldn't more the needle. That sort of thing. We loved them anyway. The cats' cradle around the furniture legs when they discovered my grandmother's knitting basket, was a close call, though. :lol:
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

My poor puss cat got hit by a car on christmas eve. I really miss her. I have only starting stitching maddly since then, so she wasnt around to witness my tempting threads or anything.

I desparate to get another cat soon, as they are such adorable animals with really funny little habbits.

I shall bare in mind all you guys have been saying, and be sure to make sure stitching is well out the way of any future animals I get.