Suggestions for a Newbie!!

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

rcperryls

Re: Suggestions for a Newbie!!

Post by rcperryls »

WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
elenmirie

Post by elenmirie »

Here would be my advice; and I am somewhat new myself!

1. if you get a loop tangle (that is, the thread you are working developes a loop that you can't shift easily), put your needle inside the loop and gently but firmly pull on the thread outside the loop until the loop shrinks. Then pull on both ends to make it vanish. unless something has really happened to make it tangle, this will generally work. Patience, haste makes waste, and similar sayings apply!
2. Keep the brain engaged. Don't zone out... that's how you make mistakes and invite in the :anotherfrog: (that means have to rip stitches out that are wrong.) Constantly cross-check what you are doing, sanity check that it makes sense and if you detect something amiss, stop until you either figure out what it is or convince yourself that all is well.
3. When you select a design, make sure you really like it. You will be spending a lot of time with it... don't settle.

I'm sure there is more but I hope this helps someone! :dance:
katherinecierra

Post by katherinecierra »

I always separate my strands and bring them back together so they lay parallel before I thread my needle. This way, my floss doesn't get all twisty and it makes my stitches look neater.
WIP
Feline Love by Martha Edwards for Dimensions
carpiek

Post by carpiek »

There are some great, and I mean GREAT suggestions/advice here for newbies! I sure wish I would have had a forum or just anything with helpful info when I started out 25 yrs ago. I pretty much had to "wing it". But, that's ok too. Do your own thing-there are no set "rules" to cross stitching. Oh, except having fun, of course! :lol:

One thing I have found that I really like are the Q snap frames. I have 3, in different sizes. After using the Q snaps I hate using any other type of hoop. They are just so easy to use and to keep clean.

I have also found that although having more than one project on the go at a time is fine, if you have too many going you may tend to feel overwhelmed and just give up on them all for a while.You DON'T want to do anything to lose that stitching bug once you've found it! :wink:
Borgessa

Post by Borgessa »

I Dunno about cross stitching much. I am only a beginner, but I noticed Rose mentioning about putting her cross stitch in the washing machine on delicate. So I wanted to give a general tip, on delicate items. I learnt from my elderly neighbour many many yrs ago, when doing delicates in the machine, ie - curtain nettings etc. To put them inside a pillow slip first. Then put them on the delicate cycle. Never had a tear in my curtain nettings.
JaniceRae

Post by JaniceRae »

duskwynd wrote:For headaches, I use a technique that I was taught to avoid headaches when spending too much time at the computer - look up every few minutes. I usually do my stitching when sitting with my housemates as they are watching TV. I don't pay too much attention to what is on the tube, but it gives me something farther way to focus on every few minutes and that really helps with alleviating headaches.

Another thing that I remembered as I was stitching last night - don't forget to drop your thread every few stitches. It's amazing how many headaches that eliminates as your floss doesn't get as tangled as often :)

Blessings!
Natasha
I found that when I was using a frame it was giving me shoulder problems,I now only use a hoop,this may help as you do not have to stretch around the frame to sew.
JaniceRae

Post by JaniceRae »

[quote="megan_bright"]I have a question...
I just bought the pattern for a HAED and it's going to be a huge project. I've never done a pattern that was more than 4 pages long before. I've noticed that people mark off the sections like in marker or some ink. Is that a good idea? To mark off the areas so it's easier? I'm just concerned it might not come out with washing...
Also, should I start from a certain corner? I'm hesitant to try to start in the middle like I normally do since it's such a big #8000FF][/

]I am also attempting my first HAED it is 36 pages and on Adia fabric I found starting In the left hand top corner is best for me,I bought a marking pen and thought I could maybe wipe it of as I go but it did not work like that,I suggest that you try to mark in a corner that will not be seen and see if you are happy with the result.
Personally I grid a small section at a time using coloured thread and cut them out of the way as I sew.I hope this helps you will find what works best for you.I do not want to wash mine when finished .
moogypop

Post by moogypop »

Little newb question for yous..

I've done a couple of DMC minis and Ive been working on my large bothy threads project the past month and ive noticed my needles are rusting. I just use the ones in the pack I get. Should I be doing something with them when Im not using them or should I be buying other ones that are better?
WIP:
Bothy threads - Christmas cupcakes

moogypops.com - Craft Blog
mrcrosses

Post by mrcrosses »

I never use the needles that come in the kits because they are usually of poor quality and are rough going through the fabric or they are much to big for my personal opinion. I don't do a lot of kits but I always take the needles and donate them to my local nursing home for the residents to use.
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

JaniceRae wrote: Personally I grid a small section at a time using coloured thread and cut them out of the way as I sew.I hope this helps you will find what works best for you. I do not want to wash mine when finished
I use a washable marker when I draw on fabric. And wash when done. I like to wash my hand oils/ dust/ dirt from projects. But I understand sometimes washing is not an option.
If you don't want to wash when done.. you have a few options.
You could sew a grid. People use Sulky metallic sewing machine thread. Metallic makes it easy to pull when done. And you can't sew through it like you could if you used regular cotton thread, or floss. Some people also use really thin fishing line. So a search for gridding to look for other discussions on this.

Or, there are markers that erase with the heat of a hair dryer. I think they are made by Pilot.. not 100% sure on the manufacturer. I've not tried these. I am not convinced its really "gone" after you hair dryer it. Heres the link at Nordic Needle
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

moogypop wrote:Little newb question for yous..

I've done a couple of DMC minis and Ive been working on my large bothy threads project the past month and ive noticed my needles are rusting. I just use the ones in the pack I get. Should I be doing something with them when Im not using them or should I be buying other ones that are better?
I don't do many kits anymore.
Buy yourself a pack of needles.
Tapestry needles, or blunts
I like a size 26. Works for most fabrics I use.
Like wire gauge.. the higher the number, the thinner the needle.
AllStitchedUp

Post by AllStitchedUp »

Excellent discussion! I appreciate the tips! I like to make a copy of the chart and use a Pilot Fusion highlighter (found these at 123Stitch.com) - they are actually erasable if you get marker happy on the chart and mark too many squares.

I have also found the magnifier glasses work wonders and are fairly comfortable. They range in price, but I picked a pair up for $3.50 (also from 123Stitch). Great for the higher count fabrics!

Happy Stitching,
Nicole
Enjoy!

~Nicole
(AllStitchedUp)

WIP:
Lily of the Valley, Nora Corbett
August Peridot Fairy, Nora Corbett
Alpaca Cria, Jo Lynch (my first HAED!!!)

Completed 2014:
Girl With Cosmos
Phoenix Rising
AliceUnderground

Post by AliceUnderground »

I'm a newb, but have a little tip. Granted, this is because i don't plan on sewing the same pattern again, nor do I have any cross stitching friends to share patterns with.

I use thin-tipped markers and assign each thread a marker(trying to keep the marker color and thread color similar). Then I mark off as I go along.
I guess it helps me figure out where I am better than just one color?
AllStitchedUp wrote: I have also found the magnifier glasses work wonders and are fairly comfortable. They range in price, but I picked a pair up for $3.50 (also from 123Stitch). Great for the higher count fabrics!
I'm definitely going to pick up a pair of these. I think I inherited a blind gene or something :(
"I am happy every hour of every day. My life is full because I know I am loved."
- John Merrick, David Lynch's Elephant Man
Annie49

Post by Annie49 »

I agree with what's already been said and have picked up a few tips for myself. :D

My tip is

I use thread holders both card and plastic and have found its easier to mark the holders with numbers and then put the corresponding number on the floss key. I find this is much easier than trying to replicate the key symbol or looking for floss numbers. It also means that you can recycle your cards and mark your plastic ones with a permanent marker.

WIP:
Dimensions Gold - In Harmony
Aero to Aqua
Mirabilia - Sisters of the Deep Blue
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Great suggestion, Annie! I don't use thread cards currently, but if I did, that would be perfect!
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
littleturtlegirl

Post by littleturtlegirl »

I have learned so much today reading this thread. Thank you soooo much.

I have been stitching for years, but just picked it back up.

My advise is read and research before purchasing. I got so excited with all the new items and just purchase a bunch of stuff. I found that I either didn't like it or there was something better out there. It can get expensive, so go slow and don't get overwhelmed. You will need that money for fabric. :)
mouselady

Post by mouselady »

Wow! I want to thank everyone who posted a suggestion. I am definitely a newbie; I just started my first project a few weeks ago. I wish I had read all of this first, but a good idea is a good idea, and the rest of the project and all my future projects will benefit from what I've learned.

Thank you all so much! I can't wait to read through some of the other threads :dance:
Desiree

WIP:
Lobo - HAED
Faces of Joan Elliot SAL
Friendly Felines

2016 Finishes:
Joan Elliot Birth Announcement
Flower of the Month - July
12 Days of Christmas
fccs

Post by fccs »

mouselady wrote:
Thank you all so much! I can't wait to read through some of the other threads :dance:
Welcome to the forum.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
LydiaZ

Post by LydiaZ »

I'm a newbie and just this morning I was stitching and trying to figure out what to do with the confetti stitches in my piece. I looked on here and read about the loop method. What a find! Now those lonely stitches aren't so scary! Thanks a bunch!
LydiaZ
Looking for a great project
dsweeney

Post by dsweeney »

I have found some great tips from all the posts, so helpful for a new stitcher.
Thanks