Suggestions for a Newbie!!

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

JoannaG

Re: Suggestions for a Newbie!!

Post by JoannaG »

Some tips from a newbie.

If you can't get to a copy machine for whatever reason you can still mark off your pattern. mark your chart off in pencil rather than pen/highlighter. This way you can erase when done and reuse your pattern OR erase marked off sections that you later find you have to frog.

When starting a new section of pattern without any guiding stitches around (normally at the very beginning of the project). Start doing complete stitches at first, rather than a line of half stitches before returning. This way if you find you miscounted some part of your stitching you can undo the stitches immediately back to the mistake rather than having to undo/frog the entire thread. (Don't know if I explained that properly).

And finally, Don't stitch after a glass of wine! :lol:
Current WIP:
Design Works Frogpile
HAED Treasure Hunt Bookshelf SSMC

2017 Finisher:
Dimensions Ballerina Dreams
Christina

Post by Christina »

I read and learn!! Great!!!
Cathy70

Post by Cathy70 »

Hi, new to this & a lot to read thru.

Trying a photo changed into x stitch & to use 2 floss but how do I work it when stitch square has 4 codes for colour in it, do I do 1 floss of each colour or is there a specific way to do it ?? Many thanks
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello Cathy and welcome to the Forum from South Carolina!! And welcome to the wonderful craft of Cross Stitch. It sounds like you are starting out with a pretty difficult design but one that is very special to you. To answer your question specifically, it depends on where the symbols for each of the color threads are in the square that you are stitching. Also depends on how many squares on the fabric that you are stitching on are being covered by a stitch. Which probably depends on the "count" size and of the fabric you are stitching on, as well as what type of fabric you are using. That will make it easier to answer your question correctly. The Glossary in the Welcome section has good explanations for all the terms we use in cross stitching and I encourage you to look through it. One of the best places to find tutorials which will give you the clearest information is Mary Corbet's Need N' Thread which also has videos to guide you. I would encourage you to take a long at that.

Cross stitching is a wonderful craft to become involved in and I hope that you will find as much joy and pleasure in it as I have and as our forum members. Always feel free to ask any questions you have and someone will either have the answer or have a very good idea as to where to look for the answer. I look forward to getting to know you and to watch your progress (We LOVE photos) as you start your project.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Cathy70

Post by Cathy70 »

Hi Carole, thanks for the reply. It's 14ct Aida & tells me 2 floss but confusing when the chart shows 4 colour legends for one stitch, that's what is getting to me.
Example
Xo
Mn

Have done a couple which were pre-printed (from crossinart) on the Aida but this one I have to count the stitches from the chart.

I use my phone most of the time so not so easy to put up pics
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Hello Cathy, as Carole ays it sounds like you've jumped in at the deep end, but if the design is special to you then I'm sure it will work! One possibility is that they want you to do 4 quarter cross stitches, each in a different colour. To do a quarter stitch you come up in one of the holes as usual, but instead of doing a diagonal to the other corner you pierce the centre of the aida square with your needle and go down there.

Another possibility, but not so likely in view of the four different symbols, is that they want you to use blends, which means using two (or more) different colours in the needle at once. But I think the first thing I described is more likely. I'm on holiday at the moment and haven't got my usual software etc but I'll see if I can do a small graphic to illustrate it.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Cathy70

Post by Cathy70 »

Thanks Mabel

For number of threads it shows against colour kegends as 1/6, 4/6, 5/6, 1+5/6 whatever that means :neutral:

PS: had a look at doitms.com which is a photo converter & found the explanation I was looking for :whoop:
Last edited by Cathy70 on Thu May 18, 2023 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Oh good! It sounds like you're working with lots of different "thicknesses" of stitch which should make it look amazing! What did the website say about the four symbols in one square?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Sounds like you are making progress towards what is going to be a fun start. Mabel is one of the best teachers I know for explaining how to stitch. I think your project sounds like it is going to be an amazing one with lots of variety. How to post pictures into a thread explains how to use one of the websites that quite a few of us use, though there are several very good websites that are also free. If there is one you already use, check to see if it can be posted to a forum or site like ours. If it sounds like I am strongly suggesting this, it is because I am selfish and would very much like to see your progress, but please remember that is not a requirement by any stretch of the imagination.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Cathy70

Post by Cathy70 »

Thanks ladies

Seems like it is 1/4 stitches which should be fun as it's such a small weave of material :neutral: :neutral:

I used to run a fan forum but don't use photobucket any more for pics, just save on my phone
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Hi Cathy,

If you are going to be doing quarter stitches then using evenweave (rather than Aida) will make it much easier.

Which conversion program did you use? That might give us a better idea what the chart is trying to tell you.

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Summer Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Cathy70

Post by Cathy70 »

https://www.doitms.com

Gives you the chart, floss needed etc
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Hi Cathy,

Found it: they do a guide https://doitms.com/csm/doc/en/

Down near the bottom of the page it explains the symbols and yes it uses quarter stitches :doh: and combines thread colours.

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Summer Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Cathy70

Post by Cathy70 »

Yes, found that yesterday

It's a b/w pic so not many flosses involved & I have ordered some evenweave from Amazon :wink:
Cathy70

Post by Cathy70 »

Got the evenweave from Amazon today & see what you mean about it for 1/4 stitches - should make things easier hopefully :wink:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Evenweave will make all the difference -- you'll enjoy the stitching, for a start!

And welcome to the forum from the West of Scotland! :wave:
Cathy70

Post by Cathy70 »

Serinde wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:38 am Evenweave will make all the difference -- you'll enjoy the stitching, for a start!

And welcome to the forum from the West of Scotland! :wave:
Thanks, I'm in West of Scotland too !!!! A wee place called Galston near Kilmarnock :D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Lovely part of the world. Do you bask in Darvel's reflected glory? I'm up by Loch Lomond.
Cathy70

Post by Cathy70 »

Serinde wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:26 am Lovely part of the world. Do you bask in Darvel's reflected glory? I'm up by Loch Lomond.
My youngest & his family live in Darvel but moving to Galston, bought the wee cottage behind the Barr Castle. Loch Lomond will be beautiful in this glorious weather, beautiful scenery up there
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

It is a beautiful place to live, there's no doubt. We don't see much of the loch this time of year... it gets pretty busy, the roads are narrow... and the national park authorities have designated the best little bay and beach to be used by campers only all year round. :tantrum: Once the children are back in school and after the August bank holiday, however, the locals come out of hiding! :dance: :dance: