Huge new project/questions

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

wjreese

Huge new project/questions

Post by wjreese »

Hello all!

It's been a long time since I've posted here. I'm going to try to make it a regular thing in the new year.

Anyway, I'm going to begin a new project: the Heaven and Earth Designs: Supersized Four Seasons Max Colors. Finished it'll be about 40 inches square on 25 count linen, stitched one over. There are 234 colors in it. Yep, this thing is going to take me quite a few years, but I'm really excited to get going! My questions: Have any of you tried the DMC Stitch Bow floss organizing system? Do you like/dislike it? Also, what would you recommend for the best/cheapest way to get the 350-400 (I haven't counted yet) skeins of DMC floss? I mean, I could go to one of the big box stores, but I'm reasonably certain I'll walk out without everything I need. I'm wondering if I should just order it direct from DMC online. If any of you have done that, do they offer a discount for a large order like this?

That's it for now! Thanks for reading and I hope to chat with you soon,

Bill
Allyn

Re: Huge new project/questions

Post by Allyn »

I don't use the stitch-bow system. It isn't something that would work for me, so I can't speak to it. For the floss, I make a list of colors and quantities I need and put in a big order at 123Stitch. (123stitch.com)

WIP
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I don't use the stitch-bow system either (tried it once many many years ago and didn't work for me). I have a very cumbersome (when stitching a piece with more than 16 colors) system using plastic floss caddies. Started out simple but over 20+ years has grown. When I have to order a huge amount of thread at one time I usually check out the big craft stores near me to get what I can and then make a list and order the rest from 123Stitch. HAED has material packs for individual projects available which include fabric and DMC threads (bombinated I think). Or you can order just the floss. It's 10 cents more than 123Stitch, which is a lot more if you are needing 254 skeins. Can't wait to see your progress. I hope you will give us lots of updates!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
JoannaG

Post by JoannaG »

I'm in the same boat. Have to kit up a SSMC from scratch! :shock:

There is a lady on etsy selling dmc thread for £0.45 per skein. Does huge bulk orders too. She is based in the US but even with the delivery fee to UK, much cheaper than anything else I could find.

Will let you know if I get hit with Customs!

Once the package arrives I will give you a full review of her service :)
Current WIP:
Design Works Frogpile
HAED Treasure Hunt Bookshelf SSMC

2017 Finisher:
Dimensions Ballerina Dreams
wjreese

Post by wjreese »

Thanks all of you for your responses! I will certainly keep you up to date on my progress. I'm excited, but a little intimidated at the thought of doing a project that's 40" square on 25 count fabric, doing it one over. rcperryls, I'm curious why the stitch bow system didn't work for you. I'm trying to get feedback before I order it, or decide not to.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

If you've already done 25-count over-one on a smaller project, you're already halfway there. The only real difference I've found between a small project and a big project is organization, and HaED charts are all solid colors so that makes it all the easier to organize. No matter how big or small, it's just one stitch at a time.

On an aside note, evaluate the floss requirements before you put in an order for floss. If you're tent stitching two strands over-one, you likely use less floss than the pattern suggests if the floss estimates are for two strands full crosses over-two, for example. If you're planning to do one strand full crosses, keep in mind that if you stitch Danish style (make all the / before coming back to make the \) you use about 9-to-10 percent less floss than the English style (completing each X as you go). Also, if you do full crosses, if you tent the bottom leg, it'll keep the leg from sliding into the fabric weave and disappearing.

WIP
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:wave: Great to 'see' you back Bill and WOW you have given yourself a job and a half. It is going to be great to watch your progress on this. A good idea might be to have a few smalls on hand so you can quickly start and finish a project and feel the accomplishment of that as you work your way though the mighty one. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Allyn, that's really good advice.

I have never used the DMC system, preferring to put my floss on paper bobbins when I need the skein for a project. I do use a Paco needle organiser, though -- sometimes two for an HAED. This doesn't mean you have to have enough needles for each colour thread! Different sections of a project will generally use different colours, so I rarely have more than 30 needles on the go at any one time for an HAED. Of course, that's yet another investment, but rethreading needles for every bit of confetti really would drive me mad.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Never heard of stitchbows before. Looked it up, and it honestly strikes me as an utterly pointless solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Why unwind the skein at all? And why risk removing the sleeve so it's more easily separated from the thread? How does having the skein on a plastic spine help anything? I can see no benefit to anyone other than DMC's bottom line for these things.

I have, I accept, a somewhat inefficient system. I keep all my floss in ziploc bags. Those numbered 1** in one bag, those numbered 2** in another and so on. As I use a skein and the number sleeve becomes loose I pin it on with a safety pin.

I tend to use 1 needle, because coping with more & parking, drives me potty. The needle I'm using is somewhat bent, but at 6 years/200,000 stitches old, that's OK by me. Also, if I have 1 needle, I notice when I drop it so it doesn't find a foot/paw before I realise I've dropped it.

I do use project cards for floss storage, numbered appropriately and marked with the symbol. Never have more than 20" of 6 threads looped on it to prevent excessive thread wear over the years.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I use project cards, too. Having more than about 7 cards with various numbers of colours on can be frustrating, too, of course.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

wjreese wrote:rcperryls, I'm curious why the stitch bow system didn't work for you. I'm trying to get feedback before I order it, or decide not to.
To be honest, I don't remember exactly what I disliked about it. What I remember is buying holders and/or inserts, a binder and something to hold them in. After using it for a very short time, I knew I preferred bobbins and bobbin containers and gave the stitch bow supplies to a friend of mine who loved the system. Wish I could give you more information. I would suggest that you might want to try a small version of it before making a big investment.
Serinde wrote:Allyn, that's really good advice.
I agree with that. Especially remembering that if you are going to stitch 1 over 1 that you will be using 1/2 the suggested floss. And you might want to take a small piece of fabric and test what gives you the best coverage, either full cross or tent stitch. You want the coverage to be good, but not so bulky in the back that you can't get the needle through the fabric. (Hope that makes sense).

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker