Getting creases out of aida

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Nicola Main

Getting creases out of aida

Post by Nicola Main »

I'm sure this has been asked and answered loads of times but what is the best way to get rid of creases? Preferably without an iron. I love the printed speckled aida I get in my Wrendale kits but never use them as hate creases! I tend to buy rolls of Charles Craft aida instead. Any help would be appreciated thanks! xxx
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
DisneyStitcher

Re: Getting creases out of aida

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Welllllll........since you did say "preferably without an iron"..... :wink:.... I'm super old fashioned and use hand held, wooden hoops. I probably pull the fabric too tight, but once it's hooped the creases disappear. For everyone appalled by that (and I'm sure it's probably a fairly high percentage of folks), spray misting the fabric and then running a iron over it is probably the best way to eliminate them.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Remove creases without an iron? Rather like the problem of 'How to breath under water without a scuba set', the easiest way has been ruled out in the question. Now how to do it?

Put it in a hoop/frame, tension it, then steam with a kettle, and allow to dry before removing from the hoop/frame. Misting with water will do the job, but less effectively. When flattening fabric, the process actually realigns the strands that make up the fibres. The way this is done is by softening the glue between the strands making up the fibres, allowing the strands to slip into the new flattened shape, then allowing the glue to re-set. This can be done with moisture or heat but is more effective with both steam & heat, hence the iron. Doing the process without the iron just adds a bit to the difficulty, though the process you need to apply to the fabric is the same.

In fact, steam bending of timber uses exactly the same process as ironing fabric, the steam and heat softens the glue between the fibres in the lignin of the wood, allowing the timber to be bent and set in that new shape.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Thanks you two! :wink:
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

I put creased/wrinkled Aida under several heavy books for a while, maybe 1 or 2 weeks if necessary. Although as has been said some are not so bad when stretched on hoop of frame but I use heavy book method most times.
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I've tried steaming the fabric but the stretching afterwards, I think, is what gets those pesky creases out!!