How do you do a bookmark?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

How do you do a bookmark?

by Nicola Main » Thu May 25, 2017 5:50 pm

This may seem an odd question for some of you more experienced stitchers but how do you stitch and finish a bookmark? I've been cross stitching 'properly' now for coming up for four years and have only ever done normal framed stitches or greetings cards. I've been admiring all the lovely bookmarks on the Spring Exchange thread and would just like to know your tips for them. Obviously you stitch your design but do you cover the back? Do you back them with card? How do you attach a tassel if it comes with it? Thanks in advance, Nicola xxx
Works in progress
Wrendale Designs 'Curious Hen'
Wrendale Designs 'The Lookout'

Re: How do you do a bookmark?

by Mabel Figworthy » Thu May 25, 2017 6:14 pm

I put something about bookmarks somewhere, if only I could find the post! I'll see if I can find it, but until then much of the info is also on my blog here. Hope that helps!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Goldwork balloon, Tree of Life leaf projects
Designing
Goldwork parasol, Tree of Life

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's Fancies Facebook page

by Nicola Main » Thu May 25, 2017 6:20 pm

Very useful thank you very much Mabel! :hug:
Works in progress

by Nicola Main » Fri May 26, 2017 8:13 am

Bumping this up xxx
Works in progress

by wendywombat » Fri May 26, 2017 9:17 am

Well you can buy this Aida band

https://www.sewandso.co.uk/category/fabric-aband-14c-aida-band-3-inch-wide?TRE00017

it comes in several widths and is already edged with a pretty scalloped edging. You can chose a coloured or an edging in the same colour as the fabric. You can then fringe the cut ends or stitch them with a simple back stitch. You can back them with iron-on interfacing or felt. I like to use felt and I machine the 2 parts together after doing a running stitch in one of the pattern colours around it inside the scalloped edge.
:roll: Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional! :lol:

LONG LIVE PUFFINS! :whoop:

by mags » Fri May 26, 2017 8:18 pm

There is nothing wrong with just stitching on a piece of aida and fraying the edges and not backing it at all. I have made several like that. If you use evenweave I guess you would have to zigzag machine stitch it to stop it fraying further than you want.

My latest bookmark stitched for the Spring bookmark exchange was just two pieces of aida (bigger than finished size) - running stitched together, then cut to size and frayed.
It is a bit fiddly to do.
Also if one piece is heavily stitched and the other not, then the tension of each piece will be slightly different - steam pressing helps a bit.
When cutting and fraying, it is better to cut and fray each side separately (yes, fiddly :lol: )
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge
Butterfly table mat
Autumn gift exchange
Birthday cards
and others ... :tizzy:

Re: How do you do a bookmark

by DisneyStitcher » Fri May 26, 2017 8:28 pm

I posted this link in another thread where someone was asking about what a reverse stitch was. This might be what you were looking for.
http://eac.ca/eng/images/youthdocs/ReversibleCross.pdf" target="_blank

by HalbertMusik » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:22 pm

Hello-

I ditto the stitch & fray technique. Using a pre-edged piece if Aida is OK, but I seldom have one.

I have attatched other pieces of fabric on the back, but I find this makes the finished product a bit too thick to actually be used as a

bookmark.

William David

by ROSEMARYHARRADINE » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:42 pm

I have made bookmarks on perforated paper then backed them with wide ribbon. You can stitch a border to attach the ribbon and have the ribbon extended by two or three inches below the design.