How do you organize your floss?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Re: How do you organize your floss?

by mattcrossstitches » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:46 pm

So it's been a few years (lol) since my earlier post on this subject, and my system's changed. When I'm working on a pattern, I keep all the bobbins for that pattern together in numerical order on one or more rings, with all the rings together in a ziploc bag. Then I make myself a folding card with punched holes along the edges, marked with the numbers and symbols for each colour. (It's folded in such a way that the floss is on the interior when the card is closed up.)

As I work, I cut chunks of floss off the bobbins and ring knot them onto the appropriate hole in the card. This has been the most practical system I've found so far.
My finished projects
WIP: Ladybugs' Picnic bib, Little Prince bookmark, In the House
Being charted: Challah cover, Kestos Himas

Re: How do you organize your floss?

by threebluestars » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:56 pm

I keep my floss in those plastic boxes you can get at Michaels. I have two smaller Darice boxes with 7 compartments, and I use those to hold floss for specific projects.

So I don't lose track of what floss I have, I have a printed checklist of all the DMC colours, so I make sure to add a check every time I get a new one, erase the check when I finish one etc, so I don't have to get out the boxes to see if I have everything I need.

Previous