Hoops, scroll, & snap frames, oh my!

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Hoops, scroll, & snap frames, oh my!

by meganap25 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:59 pm

I am fairly new to cross stitching. My only projects up to this point were some small Christmas ornaments that I just stitched in-hand and a small project that comfortably fit in a 6" hoop. I am about to start two projects that are going to be larger. One is circular and the finished size will fit in a 15" square. The other project is rectangular, about 14"x10". What is your preferred method of holding the fabric in projects this size? Any tips for using your favorite?
My mom always used a hoop, so I only recently discovered that there are other options. I've read that hoops sometimes have issues with stretching stitches and causing ridges. The circular project will be a gift, so I am particularly interested in making that one look as good as possible. Thanks for your help!

Re: Hoops, scroll, & snap frames, oh my!

by Midge » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Hi Meg. I find that if I stich in my hand my project is easy to take with me. If it is a large project, I use Q snap frames in my Lowry stand. I don't really think it matters what you do but which ever you start with you should carry on with as the tension will be affected.
I'm sure some of the others will be along soon to give you their opinions. Good luck!
2016 is yet another year of the UFO!!
Great Wall of China,
Peacocks and Pheasants,
Birds of a feather,
Hardanger Table runner,
TW Peacock Tapestry,
Milennium Sampler,
Yes, they are all STILL in progress!

by wendywombat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:36 pm

When I went from 'in hand' stitching to a hoop I was advised to slacken the tension at the end of a stitching session. Can't say that I always do that though :roll: but once the piece is finished and washed I can't see any hoop marks or slack fabric.
:roll: Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional! :lol:

LONG LIVE PUFFINS! :whoop:

by meganap25 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:53 pm

I'm also curious about the types of hoop or frame holders that you sit on. I usually stitch sitting on the couch and think having the sit-on stand will help keep the fabric cleaner (from holding it with my left hand) and also allow me to stitch using both hands. I've never done that before but I think I may be the world's slowest stitcher, so anything to help improve my time would be awesome.

by wendywombat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:59 am

Get One!!
I have one and it's Fantastic! Mine was given to me by a very kind member of this Forum. :dance:
It's a DMC version with an 8 and 1/2 inch hoop. You can also get the Elbesee version which has 3 sizes of hoop. I bought one of the hoops and it fits my DMC sit on stand.
https://www.sewandso.co.uk/category/accs-floorframe-elbesee-seat-frame?TRE00019

It's easy to take apart too. I collapse mine and take it out to my Friday craft morning and away on holidays :D
:roll: Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional! :lol:

LONG LIVE PUFFINS! :whoop:

by kingfisher68 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:40 am

Hello, I mostly use scroll frames for large items & circular ones for small projects. I have the scroll frame where you stitch on to the tapes the fabric you are going to use & also have 2 Elbesee ones. Only recently used the large Elbesee clip on but it is good & I am using it at the moment.

I often buy items on EBay but also look in charity shops too & occasionally find something useful but not always at the time when I need something specific so I look around the Internet to find what I want at the lowest price.

Have also got a Siesta Stitch Master seat frame which is easily assembled & taken apart when you want to take it with you on holidays etc. I take it with me when DH & I go away & it only takes up a small amount of room in your luggage. This frame you can rest a round hoop on or a scroll frame. It is adjustable too in width as well as in height.

www.siestateframes.com

Item No. SMSS D52015

This may not be what you want but as others have mentioned accessories they use you will have a lot to choose from. Good luck & I look forward to seeing what you make later on. :)
Izzi

Believe you can & you will

WIP
DMC Pleasant Row Cottages

by Helcat » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:14 am

For the one I am doing at the moment I have a floor frame - and I find it frustrating when having to hold the frame in my hand.

That being said it is a bit of a beast, so I am looking to get a smaller floor stand that holds different frames and hoops. Although I like the look of the lap frames my cat likes to sit on my knee (underneath the frame) so I don't think he would like that.

Need to finish my Enchanted Kingdom first though ...

by isaacson72 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:33 pm

I like hoops. I've got one that I hold with my left hand. I have a q-snap but it seems so thick after using a hoop for so many years, I'm not sure I like it that much. I like the idea of that hoop on a sit-on-stand, though. I might have to look into that. I saw something similar at a needlepoint/quilting expo I went to last month and really liked it.
Michelle
:ratherbe:

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids

by Helcat » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:26 am

The stand arrived this week and I am impressed with it so far.

I have currently used the clamp to hold quite a small hoop which means that I can stitch two handed which is what I got used to doing with the floor frame. I used to find I got hand cramp after a while holding the hoop so it has taken that away as well.

It also doesn't take up nearly as much space as the floor stand I had which is also good.

It'll be interesting to see how it copes with larger frames.