Hello from displaced Aussie

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Kas1

Hello from displaced Aussie

Post by Kas1 »

Hi!

Now living on the border with Wales and have been obsessed since I moved to the UK. I hardly ever buy charts/kits anymore as I use PCStitch to convert photos. My last project took more than 18mths and is 1.5m wide, but I loved it! Will go back to working with higher count fabric though, 14 count is a bit boring! ;)

I have a couple of step-kids, work in a bank and am planning on owning some chickens.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Welcome to the forum. Hope you have a photo of that mammoth project for us to see in the gallery!
Kas1

Post by Kas1 »

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/phpBB2/ ... rsonal.php

Here it is! It's actually framed now, so I'll take another pic and load that too.[/url]
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Welcome to the forum from Southern Ontario Canada. Your xstitch is beautiful. I haven't tried anything like that, maybe one day haha, but I have enough patterns and charts to last forever. Hope you enjoy your visits here, we have a great and helpful group of stitchers here. Linda
Linda
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

WOW! :!: What a fabulous creation. Who was the original artist?
Kas1

Post by Kas1 »

Les Edwards - he's an English artist who's doing all the new McCaffrey covers. He does a lot of horror work too - but I don't really like that stuff. :?
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Anne McCaffrey has new books out????? Oh, I just love her books, all of them!!! Linda
Linda
Kas1

Post by Kas1 »

Which was the last one you read? ;) Todd is doing the Pern series now (he's done 3) and she's just released another PTB book (Changelings)
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

It has been so long since I read any of hers. I loved the ship who sang and those , Then the unicorn girl. She did sone loners along with some of her series. She also co-wrote a few. i will have to check in at the library. Bye for now Linda
Linda
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Welcome to the forum from an displaced Scot in Bahrain. Had a look at your gallery the picture is superb, Well done.
Kas1

Post by Kas1 »

lindagibb wrote:Welcome to the forum from an displaced Scot in Bahrain. Had a look at your gallery the picture is superb, Well done.
:lol: Bahrain?! At least one of us is warm then!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

My one claim to fame in the entire world is that Anne McCaffrey had lunch at my house once a couple of years ago... (swollen head! much trepidation!). What a clever, clever lady. I've read all the Pern books over the years, which I certainly have enjoyed.
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

That is so cool. My grandmother used to work with Catherine Cookson in a bakery in Jarrow. Linda
Linda
Kas1

Post by Kas1 »

That is so cool! :D My husband and I had the pleasure of staying with her in Ireland a few years ago - she may be getting older (80 this year) but there's nothing slow about her!

And lots more McCaffrey-related projects for me, I think! :D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Mauveme, it just goes to show that writers are people too despite some evidence to the contrary. (Well, more likely to be than most academics I've worked with over the years!) Cookson drew many of her characters from real life, I guess, and her own experience in the world shows in her writing.

Kas1, you lucky thing! A novelist friend -- Elizabeth Kerner -- and her husband have been to her home several times (see acknowledgements in Skies of Pern). Perhaps you've met? That would be such a coincidence. I don't aspire to such heights myself, but love to hear the stories.

Actually, you've given me an idea for a present for aforementioned writer friend. I might try (after getting permission) to stitch one of her 'dustcover' dragons for her birthday... hmmm.... have to make sure she likes them first, of course. Artistic licence occasionally produces drawings that the writer's written words don't support (e.g. balrogs with wings, etc.)
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Kas1 wrote:
lindagibb wrote:Welcome to the forum from an displaced Scot in Bahrain. Had a look at your gallery the picture is superb, Well done.
:lol: Bahrain?! At least one of us is warm then!
Yeah, Kas it is warm but too b***dy warm just now. Spend most of the day sitting indoors in the air conditioning, however manage to sit outside in the late afternoon and evening.

Last night DH and I had a bbq and sat outside till about 9 after putting the world to rights.
Kas1

Post by Kas1 »

*sigh* So jealous of your sunshine! I stepped outside this morning, only to see the animals paired up, 2 by 2! The rain has been biblical today! :shock:
inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

all of you are so lucky to have met Anne McCaffery I read her Pern Series when I was 16 ( 24 Years ago) now with all this talk about more books in the series i think i am going to look them out and read them again. does any body know all the books in the series or are there just the 3

Debbie

PS Welcome to the forum Kas 1
Kas1

Post by Kas1 »

Book and Short Story List
Dragonsdawn
The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (includes following 5 stories)
"The Survey: P.E.R.N.c"
"The Dolphin's Bell"
"The Ford of Red Hanrahan"
"The Second Weyr"
"Rescue Run"
Dragonseye (UK: Red Star Rising)
"Ever the Twain"
Dragon's Kin (with Todd McCaffrey)
Dragonsblood (by Todd only)
Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern
Nerilka's Story
"Beyond Between"
The Masterharper of Pern
Dragonflight (includes following 2 stories)
"Weyr Search"
"Dragonrider"
"Runner of Pern"
Dragonquest
Dragonsong
Dragonsinger
Dragondrums
"The Impression" (JLN)
"The Smallest Dragonboy"
The White Dragon (includes following 1 novella)
A Time When
"The Girl Who Heard Dragons"
Renegades of Pern
All the Weyrs of Pern
The Dolphins of Pern
The Skies of Pern
inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

gosh I never realized that she wrote so many in the PERN series i guess i better get cracking if i am going to read them all. Thank you so much for the information

Debbie