New From California

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

brims

New From California

Post by brims »

Last Christmas my in-law family decided to do stockings which I've never done so I bought a cheap one for a one time use and decided to look into a good one later. My searches kept coming up with cross stitch stockings. I finally decided to go for it. I spent about a month stitching it up. Now I'm to the point where I need to figure out the rest of the project, this is my first dive into sewing.

I picked up an old Bernina 817 from the 70s and it works well, I'm able to take scraps of material and sew them together, but I'm not proficient with the machine yet. I'm trying to decide what's the best route to go with finishing the stocking. I plan to add a lining so the back of the cross stitching isn't exposed and I plan on using a different felt than was included in the kit.

I've been looking around for infomation on how others finished these kits but have come up pretty empty handed except for 1 set of videos in Russian that seem to show a lining but the stocking went from still in pieces to completed, so little help there.

I hope I can gather some decent information for my stocking so I can complete it to my satisfaction.
Serinde

Re: New From California

Post by Serinde »

Welcome from the West of Scotland ! :wave:

You have come to the right place to find a tutorial about putting together Christmas stockings. It's to be found in the 'Tips & Tricks' thread, and it might even be a sticky (so you don't have to search).
daisymay

Post by daisymay »

Hello & welcome.Hope you find what you require by what Serinde has posted above. Look forward to seeing what you make. :D
Daisy :)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! We have had a lot of stockings stitched and sewn together by forum members, so there is a lot of experience for you to draw from! I hope that you will show us pictures of your work. We love pictures!

Carole
:)
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
poppy

Post by poppy »

Hello and welcome from England! I never stitched a stocking but the tutorial Serinde posted is excellent. :D
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Hi and Welcome from me in warm Brisbane. So glad you have joined us.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
brims

Post by brims »

Thank you for the welcome I will look for the stockings put together by other members and see how they went about it. Mine is a Dimensions stocking and I don't like the way the instructions want it to be finished, it just makes the stocking seem cheap.
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

Hello and Welcome :wave:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
CindyW

Post by CindyW »

I have made cross stitch stockings for our family and added to it as the family grew. The original stockings are now 33 years old and holding up well. I don't recommend backing them in felt (the stuff sold by the square or yard for crafts) as it will deteriorate rapidly. I line mine with a sturdy muslin and back with velvet. As you mentioned, the lining protects your needlework, as well as the velvet. The instructions given on this forum (someone else already gave the link) are excellent! Be sure that old machine has had a tune-up and is clean and well oiled. I recommend taking your machine into a shop at least once a year for those very tasks!
WIP
*Babies Won't Keep Sampler (for first grandbaby!)
*Joy of Giving (Charles Ross Christmas stocking)

2018 Completed Projects
*A to Z Wedding Sampler

Always crocheting and sewing!
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Hello and welcome :wave:
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Lulu22