New to forum and a question

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

jmk73

New to forum and a question

Post by jmk73 »

Hello! I was very excited to find this forum. I'm always working on 5 or so projects at once so it takes years to get anything finished, but I still enjoy it. One is giving me a bit of trouble because it's black on black stitching. I even purchased a magnifier light that works for stitching all other colors on black, but it's still too hard to see when using black thread. Does anyone have any suggestions? I hate to scrap the project after all of the work I've already put into it. Plus I really like the picture. It's a black lab dog and looks just like my own :)
rcperryls

Re: New to forum and a question

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! I'm glad that you found us! You will soon see that quite a few of us have several WIPs ongoing, and more than a few with UFOs. We also have many that work on one project at a time. Some like big projects (I tend to be in that group) and others prefer smaller ones, and others like a variety.

I don't stitch on black or dark fabrics and have always had a problem with them, but some of our members do. I have heard that keeping a white cloth or towel on your lap while you stitch helps in finding where the needle should go. Depending on were the black thread goes, could you leave that part of the fabric blank (background for example).

I hope that you will post pictures of your project(s). We love pictures! Looking forward to getting to know you.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
daisymay

Post by daisymay »

Hello & welcome :D

I do not sew on dark colours either but am of the same opinion as Carole about having something white on your lap to help you see. Or, is there anyway you can have a light underneath. I have seen light boxes mentioned but have never used one so don't know much about them. Perhaps some of the forum members use one & are able to give you more information on the subject.

Look forward to seeing what you are making.
Daisy :)
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I have done several projects on black fabric. I chose black fabric to save me a lot of work. I didn't stitch over the black areas at all. This is my 'Honeymoon Portrait' on black, without stitching over the black:
It saved 56000 stitches.

My suggestion is that you don't stitch black on black. For the reason you have found, there is almost no difference between the fabric and thread. Behind glass, the difference is impossible to see.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I agree. Stitching black on black is even worse than stitching white on white. Richard had a solution that I've used before -- don't stitch the black and then use a black acid-free mount board when you frame it so you don't see the unstitched 'holes'.

I stitched this on black. The design called for black fabric and it called for the black area to be unstitched.
(Teresa Wentzler's "Unicorn" from patternsonline.com)

If you must stitch the black thread, I'd suggest a really bright, daylight-quality light. Also, if you put a light under the fabric -- like put a small desk lamp on the floor between your feet -- it'll help you see the empty 'holes' which might help you see what's been stitched and what hasn't been stitched yet.

WIP
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:wave: Hi and Welcome to the Forum, its great that you have joined us.

I never stitch of anything darker than pale browns and I really wonder if your stitched picture is going to show up against the black background. Maybe if you find a way to position it as it would be on the wall etc and stand back it will give you an idea of how clearly your beloved dog's picture will show up. Just a thought anyway.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I concur with all that's been said.

I am currently stitching a piece that has half cross in both white and light china blue on an ice blue background. It's almost impossible to see when stitching, but if I look at the piece from an angle it's very effective. The only time I stitched black on black, it was actually black on dark charcoal in a stained-glass window design. Again, very effective, and not as bad as you might think to stitch. Black on black? How will you see the lovely labrador at all??
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

Hello and welcome :wave:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow