Please help....beginner.

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Theresa39

Please help....beginner.

Post by Theresa39 »

:) Am so lost...just want to learn how to cross stitch....love the art and craft of it. Any advice would be appreiciated.:)
:)
DisneyStitcher

Re: Please help....beginner.

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Fortunately for you, cross stitch is soooooooooo easy to pick up. If you've never stitched before, go to your local craft store and pick up a cross stitch kit of a simple design (no more than 10 colors) that appeals to you. It should come with everything you need except a hoop. I prefer the wooden hoops, but I know a lot of people on this forum use the q-snaps. 6" or 8" hoops are versatile sizes but look at the finished size of the design (it should be on the package) to make sure it won't be too big for the design you pick. By this I mean that if you pick out a design that will be 4 x 4 when finished, then the fabric likely will be too small for an 8" hoop. Ideally, you want a kit that provides you with DMC thread and fabric that allows AT LEAST a 2" margin past the design size - 3" or larger is better. You also want a kit that provides the DMC thread on labeled cards - you'll be able to see the thread already separated and looped through holes on a long white piece of cardboard. Look for something with large blocks of color that doesn't have a lot of confetti. Confetti is when you have single stitches of different colors interspersed throughout the design. You want something with some back stitching so you learn how to do it, but not highly detailed (think basic outlines). Rarely, some kits are marked for ability levels - go with beginner. If you're adventurous - you could try an easy looking intermediate, but avoid advanced at all costs. Read the directions that come with the kit, and if they are unclear to you, post your questions here and someone will jump in with an amazing answer. I'm suggesting a kit to start because they usually have pretty good directions with visuals to get you started. Once you've got the hang of it, you can find charts/patterns you like and starting buying the supplies you need for much cheaper than kits usually cost.

Good luck and let us all see your progress.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

After 40 years, at age 46 I (re)taught myself in Jan 2011 using Jo Verso's book 'Complete Cross Stitch Course' (https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Jo-Ver ... 1487579566). I bought the book for a penny plus postage and was well pleased with its information on techniques etc. OK, I am not a fan of 'cute' & 'twee' and was not the slightest bit inspired by the examples, but can stomach it for long enough to learn.

It is really very simple, when combined with a kit - I bought a rather big one at 59000 stitches, which took me a year, and can be seen here: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/gallery ... ic_id=7663. You don't need to make that mistake as there are many smaller kits available for tiny amounts. Having done that, you'll be flying.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Theresa39

se help....

Post by Theresa39 »

Thanks so much, am waiting on a beginners guide to cross stitch arriving this week. Is it crazy that I'm excited about this book coming?!:)
:)
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Not at all!!! I hope it does the job! :D

There are lots of You-tube videos too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ogAHwRK7oE" target="_blank
There are loads more on the right of that page/link!
A great idea for a rainy day, perhaps!! :lol:
fiddler

Post by fiddler »

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am originally from N Ireland but now live in East Yorkshire. You will learn a lot from the forum but as some of the other have said buy a small kit and have a go. Good luck :wave: