Thread

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

motherof4

Thread

Post by motherof4 »

Does anyone use a shops own brand thread, Dunhelm Mills have a 100 pack for £12.99
wendywombat

Re: Thread

Post by wendywombat »

I haven't bought threads from Dunelm only towels pillows and other bedding. All those are excellent quality.
I remember years back when I was first setting out, buying some 'Red Heart' threads with Anchor colour numbers on. They were OK'ish. I used them up on small projects and cards...and for the grandchildren to play with.

I guess if all you want is to use them for small stuff they why not give them a go, but I wouldn't use them for any big piece or something special.

*edit*

I brought them up the web site. They look like they come from China. A good range of colours. I'd give them a stroke to feel the texture. They may not be colour fast. Another reason for using them for small stuff like greeting cards.
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Thread

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

For anything that you are going to spend a lot of time on, and want to frame or keep and display in some other way I would always go with branded threads, DMC, Anchor, Madeira (or any of the reputable hand-dyeds). But for quick cards that won't become heirlooms and that sort of project they'd be fine.

Also teaching children (or adults) to stitch, as these would normally be small quick projects, although as Wendy says feel the thread because if they are very rough, or they fluff up quickly, or are in other ways not nice to work with it might put them off stitching for life instead of encouraging and inspiring them!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page