New cross stitcher

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mad Max

Re: New cross stitcher

Post by Mad Max »

Squirrel wrote:Hi Carl,
Mad Max wrote: Do you prefer to download your patterns online or have them delivered via post? I like to have patterns sent to me through the mail so that I have a nice color picture to go by and it is already organized for me.
I rarely get new charts these days, having a big stash of them anyway. I used to get some of the English cross stitching magazines in the early days of my cross stitching and just pulled out the charts I was definitely going to do. Needless to say many of them are still there. I have also bought a few kits over the years - most of them still waiting - and so it goes. Most of my stitching for the last few years has been for special events/birthdays etc within the family and for special friends with special events and often their tastes are not what I have in stash so I go buy or download a chart.

At some point in the not too distant future I will be unloading some kits and charts that I definitely won't be keeping any longer. So watch this space.
What genre of designs do you enjoy stitching?
Hi Sally,

The main website I go to for patterns is xs-collectables and I have a pretty extensive wish list. There is everything from simple Japanese woodcut images to ornate Gustav Klimt paintings to just some weird and wonderful fractal images. That is funny you mention cross stitching magazines because I was just wondering the other day if such a thing even exists anymore. My stash is more supplies like q-snap frames or extra cloth and thread than patterns. I like that you use your stitching talents to make things for other people. You must be disciplined and be able to work fast and make deadlines. Are you able to work on more than one pattern or project at once? I wish I could do that but I feel I have my hands full with just one project. I will definitely keep an eye out for any kits or charts you might be unloading. When you are not stitching for others what do you like to stitch for yourself?

Carl
:wip:
Skull of a Skeleton with a Burning Cigarette, Van Gogh, 18ct Aida, 3 over 1.Image
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

A very belated welcome to the forum from the West of Scotland! :wave:
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

Serinde wrote:A very belated welcome to the forum from the West of Scotland! :wave:
Hi Serinde. Thank you from New Mexico. Any WIP's you'd like to share?
Skull of a Skeleton with a Burning Cigarette, Van Gogh, 18ct Aida, 3 over 1.Image
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

A very belated welcome from me too, I'm looking forward to seeing your project :wave:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

Lulu22 wrote:A very belated welcome from me too, I'm looking forward to seeing your project :wave:
Hi Lulu,

Thanks for your reply. I will post photos soon. Is it complicated to post photos? I admire that you are working on that Haed Treasure Hunt Bookshelf project. It looks super big and complicated. How many colors are in that?

Thanks,

Carl
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

How to post a photo is shown in this thread: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... f=2&t=1027
Not difficult, just get the web address of the photo, then after it put the code [/img], and before it put [img]. Then the photo will display in the text.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

richardandtracy wrote:How to post a photo is shown in this thread: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... f=2&t=1027
Not difficult, just get the web address of the photo, then after it put the code [/img], and before it put [img]. Then the photo will display in the text.

Regards,

Richard

Thanks Richard! I have about 400 stitches to go before I can take it out of the q-snap and give everyone a good idea of my progress.
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

Thanks Carl. No Treasure Hunt isn't complicated it's just big! It has 90 colours but you can buy max colour and larger size versions if you want to.
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Mad Max wrote: ... I have about 400 stitches to go before I can take it out of the q-snap and give everyone a good idea of my progress.
Looking forward to it.

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
kandifloss

Post by kandifloss »

Mad Max wrote:
kandifloss wrote:Hello & welcome

Kandi :rainbow:
Hi Kandi,

Thank you for your rainbow. I saw a double rainbow the other day and was amazed that they were both full arches! Are you currently working on any projects?

Carl
Sorry to be late in my reply. I love rainbows. Isn't it great to see them ? Had the privilege once, years ago, when I was on holiday by the sea to actually see several rainbows, one behind the other across the large expanse of ocean. Seemed to be small patches of rain between each one. Never had that occur since but it sure was memorable. I have not been able to add rainbow smiley to automatic signature so have only just done one, Will have to add rainbow separately.

I love Van Gogh & looked at some of the cross stitches of his paintings & was surprised when I saw that one as I did not know he did that sort of painting. You are brave to do what you are doing. I just do ordinary ones. My current work is very tame compared to yours. It is Christmas is Coming, a gift for 2 little brothers for Christmas. I do not like rushing so started it early. If I rush get quite a few :ribbit: :ribbit: visit so prefer to take my time. It is coming along quicker than I thought it would. I use John James needles too & they are good. I found DMC needles broke so bought JJ ones.

Look forward to seeing your work

:rainbow:
Kandi

There is always a rainbow somewhere in the world even If you cannot see one
So never give up hope
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Hi Carl, I was taught "fancy stitching" aka embroidery by my grandmother and her strict rule was 1 thing at a time and finish it first before starting something else and it has sort of stuck - even though I am now 80. I do set a big one aside to fit in special event stitching of course and for the current hardanger SAL but I want to finish Angel of the Morning before I toss it completely. Its been on the go for over 12 months and I am aware that it is there waiting. Oh well one day it will be finished.

In the meantime she is again wrapped up whilst I do some Christmas things ready to make cards once my new card supplies get here. :lol:

Enjoy your stitching and remember 1 stitch at a time is one less to do.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

kandifloss wrote:
Mad Max wrote:
kandifloss wrote:Hello & welcome

Kandi :rainbow:
Hi Kandi,

Thank you for your rainbow. I saw a double rainbow the other day and was amazed that they were both full arches! Are you currently working on any projects?

Carl
Sorry to be late in my reply. I love rainbows. Isn't it great to see them ? Had the privilege once, years ago, when I was on holiday by the sea to actually see several rainbows, one behind the other across the large expanse of ocean. Seemed to be small patches of rain between each one. Never had that occur since but it sure was memorable. I have not been able to add rainbow smiley to automatic signature so have only just done one, Will have to add rainbow separately.

I love Van Gogh & looked at some of the cross stitches of his paintings & was surprised when I saw that one as I did not know he did that sort of painting. You are brave to do what you are doing. I just do ordinary ones. My current work is very tame compared to yours. It is Christmas is Coming, a gift for 2 little brothers for Christmas. I do not like rushing so started it early. If I rush get quite a few :ribbit: :ribbit: visit so prefer to take my time. It is coming along quicker than I thought it would. I use John James needles too & they are good. I found DMC needles broke so bought JJ ones.

Look forward to seeing your work

Hi Kandi,

Thank you for your comments :) I think that is awesome you are making something for your little brothers. Have you posted pics of your work? I know what you mean about rushing. One of the the lessons I have learned working on my project is that it is going to take a looooonnnnnnnggg time and even if I work fast it is going to take at least a 18 months total. Since I only can focus on one project at a time that means I can't make anything for anyone else for a while.

Speaking of rainbows, I have yet to see a really good rainbow cross stitch pattern. You would think that with the varied colors involved there would be a plethora of them out there.

Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

Squirrel wrote:Hi Carl, I was taught "fancy stitching" aka embroidery by my grandmother and her strict rule was 1 thing at a time and finish it first before starting something else and it has sort of stuck - even though I am now 80. I do set a big one aside to fit in special event stitching of course and for the current hardanger SAL but I want to finish Angel of the Morning before I toss it completely. Its been on the go for over 12 months and I am aware that it is there waiting. Oh well one day it will be finished.

In the meantime she is again wrapped up whilst I do some Christmas things ready to make cards once my new card supplies get here. :lol:

Enjoy your stitching and remember 1 stitch at a time is one less to do.
Hi Squirrel,

I agree with your grandmother. I admire people that can work on several projects at once but I would get too confused :tizzy: I like the idea of making Christmas cards. How long does it take to make one? One stitch at a time!

-C
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Of course Carl, one stitch at a time. It all depends on what design you choose. I do have a quick one takes about 7 hours but most 3--5 days of about 4-5 hours each day. Some of course really are works of art. If you look on Mabels designs she has given us some ideas doing hardanger, as well as cross stitch ones. Google Mabels Fancies and on the first page you will see a note about Christmas baubles etc. all free downloads.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
kandifloss

Post by kandifloss »

I agree re rainbow charts, Carl. Haven't found one I really like. Looked on the website you got yours from. Liked Monet & Renoir ones as well as Van Gogh but I am not buying any as I have enough at present. Something to save for the future if I ever get through my stash :lol:

Think I should have phrased previous reply better as my Christmas is Coming is for 2 little boys who are brothers & whom I've got to know recently.

The prickles of the hedgehog were blends & I did each one separately as I needed them. It said on the chart this was done for better effect of prickles & it has turned out nice.

Christmas Is Coming is on SAL & a few are following it. As I edit this, it is one below if you go to View Active Topics but of course that will more than likely change throughout the day as more people post. When this x-stitch is finished, I have one to do of dolphins, a Maria Diaz chart I bought. Although the birthday is not until early next year I want to start Design Works Madonna & Child in January so need to get things done in the right order so I can concentrate on that.

Kandi

So never give up hope
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

kandifloss wrote:I agree re rainbow charts, Carl. Haven't found one I really like. Looked on the website you got yours from. Liked Monet & Renoir ones as well as Van Gogh but I am not buying any as I have enough at present. Something to save for the future if I ever get through my stash :lol:

Think I should have phrased previous reply better as my Christmas is Coming is for 2 little boys who are brothers & whom I've got to know recently.

The prickles of the hedgehog were blends & I did each one separately as I needed them. It said on the chart this was done for better effect of prickles & it has turned out nice.

Christmas Is Coming is on SAL & a few are following it. As I edit this, it is one below if you go to View Active Topics but of course that will more than likely change throughout the day as more people post. When this x-stitch is finished, I have one to do of dolphins, a Maria Diaz chart I bought. Although the birthday is not until early next year I want to start Design Works Madonna & Child in January so need to get things done in the right order so I can concentrate on that.

Kandi,

I look forward to seeing your SAL piece! I really like the Monet painting with the woman and the parasol. Do you find you choose patterns based on design or color or both? I think I would choose based on a combo of both. It has to be the right design and have an interesting color scheme. I looked up Maria Diaz designs and I like the colors in the dolphin design. I also liked the barn owl and sea turtles.

-C
kandifloss

Post by kandifloss »

I do like the Monet lady with a parasol, also the pathway in the artists' garden. One I saw was vivid mauve - too bright for me but I think I saw a slightly paler version on Past Impressions & I preferred that one. I loved the sunset one too. Sometimes I like bright colourful charts but other times like subtle tones. It depends on the subject I think. I choose the chart which appeals to me most.

Forgot to say on previous post, when you look on 2016 Stash & Acquisitions you may be very tempted to buy more charts etc when you see what others have bought. But it is always good to see what others choose.

Kandi

So never give up hope