press on backing board residue

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

MacGyver

press on backing board residue

Post by MacGyver »

Hello all,
new user here. I need some information on how best to remove adhesive backing board residue. I had 2 kits I worked while still in college and framed them on the cheap using self stick boards. I want have them professionally reframed but a quick wash did not remove any of the sticky stuff. any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
Midge

Re: press on backing board residue

Post by Midge »

I'm afraid I don't know how to help with your problem. I just wanted to say hello and welcome.
2022 is yet another year of the UFO!!
Great Wall of China,
Peacocks and Pheasants,
Birds of a feather,
Hardanger Table runner,
TW Peacock Tapestry,
Milennium Sampler,
Yes, they are all STILL in progress!
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Yep, hello & welcome.

As for removing the gum. Help. It's rather like the joke about a lost driver asking for directions, and a local replying 'If I was you, I'd not start from here.'. It's best not to use glue near cross stitch pictures, as over time it's possible components of the adhesive will accelerate degradation of the thread, and threads are not hugely long lived anyway.

Well, we're where we are, and need to try to do something about it.
My suggestions are to be treated with caution, as I have no idea what the adhesive is.

If you do know the adhesive, and have a sample you can test separately from the piece, I suggest the following:
  1. Try dabbing separate samples with each of the following solvents: rubbing alcohol, white spirit, methylated spirit and water with washing up liquid.
  2. If any of the solvents dissolve the adhesive, note which does.
  3. Try a tiny patch on the back of the work with washing up liquid and water to see if any of the colours is affected or runs.
  4. If water & washing up liquid causes an colour to run, give up immediately & go no further as the other solvents cannot be washed out.
  5. Assuming all is OK so far, test the threads on the back with one of the solvents that does work. If no running occurs, then lightly hand wash the fabric in the working solvent, then in washing up liquid and water to remove the solvent.
Procedure if you have no separate sample:
  1. Try a tiny patch on the back of the work with washing up liquid and water to see if any of the colours is affected or runs.
  2. If water & washing up liquid causes an colour to run, give up immediately & go no further as the other solvents cannot be washed out.
  3. Assuming all is OK so far, test each thread colour on the back with one of the solvents. If no running occurs, try a piece of the adhesive to see if it dissolves. If yes, proceed with the operation below. If no, try another solvent.
  4. If you find a solvent that works and doesn't cause the colour to run, lightly hand wash the fabric in the working solvent, then in washing up liquid and water to remove the solvent.
I strongly advise that you use no solvent stronger than the ones listed above, as stronger solvents are more likely to make the colour run.
If the item didn't run, you should then be able to finish it off in a washing machine to remove the last residues of the solvents.

I do stress, this is HIGHLY risky for the work. But it may be a way to get the adhesive off.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! I can't imagine better advice than what Richard has suggested. Let us know how it turns out.

Carole
:)
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Richard has been very comprehensive so all I will do is say Hello & Welcome, and hope you can get rid of the glue!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page