Hello - New Member and New Stitcher

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Brecie

Hello - New Member and New Stitcher

Post by Brecie »

I will try this again, my post disappeared last time.

I am new to the forum and new to cross-stitching. got hooked last month on a little 2x3 inch counted kit I picked up in a souvenir shop and have since bought a kit off of amazon. Didn't realize how big it was and it's a stamped kit - so that will be learning experience. I think I understand the directions - so hoping to start stitching tonight.

Do you wash the stamp off when you are done? So weird because the colors don't match the thread at all....

Anyways - glad to have found a place to ask questions!
rcperryls

Re: Hello - New Member and New Stitcher

Post by rcperryls »

Hello Brecie and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! And welcome to the wonderful world of stitching!!! I'm afraid I can't help with answering your questions about the stamped kit you purchased. I think many many years ago, I did an embroidery sampler which had the pattern printed on the fabric and I think it washed out. Most of our members do counted cross stitch but several prefer stamped and they will be better able to answer. I guess the directions in your kit aren't in English? I hope you will post pictures of your project as you make progress. We love pictures! And ask as many questions as your need too. We also love helping new (as well as old) stitchers. I continuously learn things here on the forum. Looking forward to getting to know you!

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Hi Brecie :wave: and Welcome to the wonderful world of stitching as well as to the forum. I am sure someone will be able to answer your question about the printed design washing off, I have only done counted cross stitch - that is following the chart only not a design printed on the fabric. It is quite easy to do it that way too - unless one mis-counts somewhere :lol:
Looking forward to getting to know you.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Brecie

Post by Brecie »

Thanks for the greetings! So where is the best place to buy patterns for counted? I enjoyed the first little one I did (and it was tiny) but I liked blocking it out and counting. When I ordered this one, I didn't realize there were different kinds (that's how new I am to this).
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Depending on where you live there may or may not be local options such as big craft stores, though their supply is often limited. Some stitchers are lucky enough to have a LNS (local needlework shop) but those are getting less and less available. On line stores are where most of us get our charts and websites like Amazon, Etsy and Ebay. Hanging around here, you will see more and more of these online sites, so be prepared to increase your stash (supply) of charts (hard copy or downloadable pdfs), threads, fabrics and "must have" accessories. I'll suggest two of our favorites or it will feel overwhelming. In the US, many of us like 123Stitch and across the pond Sew and So is a favorite. Both ship anywhere but shipping costs will be different.
A few other helpful things for you on this forum are our Glossary Terms
Suggestions for a Newbie. Hope this isn't throwing too much at you at one time. Take your time exploring the forum. You have a wide world to explore!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Midge

Post by Midge »

Hello and welcome. I can't help with your query I'm afraid, I've never done a stamped design.
2022 is yet another year of the UFO!!
Great Wall of China,
Peacocks and Pheasants,
Birds of a feather,
Hardanger Table runner,
TW Peacock Tapestry,
Milennium Sampler,
Yes, they are all STILL in progress!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

If you are in the US 123stitch.com are an excellent source of lovely charts and kits and are very prompt at answering queries. Stoney Creek.is also a good source.
In the UK Sewandso.co.uk are tops, their service is great it is in the post asap and most helpful if you have a query.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
kandifloss

Post by kandifloss »

Hello, welcome to the forum.

I did a few stamped cross stitches as a child but not for 40+ years. If I remember correctly you cannot see the stamped colours once you have stitched it all. In tapestry, no background colour is seen, just the stitches. Although in tapestry the colours are the same on canvas as what you stitch. In recent years I have seen some charts/kits where colours on fabric are not the same as the colour you stitch so cannot really comment on those particular ones. Hope someone else can help you.

Look forward to seeing what you make :)

Kandi :rainbow:
Kandi

There is always a rainbow somewhere in the world even If you cannot see one
So never give up hope