Hello

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Sarah5

Hello

Post by Sarah5 »

I have been browsing here as a guest and finding so much useful information I thought it was time I joined up.
I am new to cross stitching, I must have done a bit at sometime in the long ago past as I remember having a wooden hoop but can't remember anything I made.

I am principally a knitter and also spin but the imminent birth of our first grandchild has prompted me to make a birth sampler. I have just started on the A is for Ark kit from the Historical Sampler Company. I'm a bit unsure of the order to start work and definately worried that I shall muddle up all the threads.

I live in Devon in the UK and I'm sure I'll be asking for advice and encouragement if that's OK.

Sarah
rcperryls

Re: Hello

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hi Sarah! Welcome to the forum from South Carolina! and welcome to cross stitching. I was an avid crocheter until I discovered Cross stitching. Because I wanted to make a birth sampler for my first nephew! Who just turned 28! And I just made a wedding sampler for his "little sister". Ask any and all questions that you have. Someone here will know the answer or know where to go to find the answer. If you've been "guesting" then you know all of us ask questions, ask for advice and opinions from each other all the time. And because we cover so many time zones you usually don't have to wait too long for an answer. I find it very helpful to subscribe and/or bookmark those threads in particular, so that I am notified by email when an answer is posted. Just click one or both of the buttons under the "Who is online?" box at the bottom of the page.

I hope you will post pictures of your sampler as you progress through it. We love pictures! Looking forward to getting to know you.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Sarah5

Post by Sarah5 »

Thanks for the welcome. I hope this will be a link to my project. I think from reading the instructions in the post about adding photos I cannot upload directly from my phone so I have opened a Photobucket account.

And my progress so far. I have started with the outline boxes, not sure if that is a good idea or if its better to concentrate on completing an area. Ithought the boxes would help with keeping my place. I have also ordered a Q Snap frame as the fabric is too big to hold easily.

Is there an easy way to make the pictures come out smaller ? And should I be posting progress pics somewhere else.

Sarah
Last edited by Sarah5 on Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

A warm welcome from an ex Devonian, having parents who farmed near Cloveley for a good few years.

Don't hesitate to ask. Cross stitch is a good deal easier than knitting, but we all need help at times. I restarted cross stitch after 40 years myself, having only done as little when aged 6 at school.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

The photos didn't come through, at least for me. The message says that you deleted or moved them and when that happens with photobucket the link is broken. Generally, we start a thread for our projects in the Stitch-A-Long section. But we like photos anywhere. To make a photo smaller from Photobucket you can click the IMG thumb link. Clicking on it will take the member to Photoshop where the full picture can be seen. Let us know if you have problems with it. At times Photobucket can be a little temperamental.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Sarah5

Post by Sarah5 »

Thanks for your replies. I have hopefully corrected the picture links. I had moved them into a new album in photo bucket which lost the link.
I will visit the other thread too. Thanks.
Sarah5

Post by Sarah5 »

Hello Richard, thanks for the welcome, we moved to Devon about 10 years ago and have a smallholding near Crediton. I never got on with sewing at school and have largely avoided it til recently. Am enjoying the cross stitching so far.
Sarah
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Welcome from me in SW France. That's a really nice sampler. :D I bought one from that company called Grandad's Shed.
I also knit, but only when it's cooler. We used to go into Devon with our caravan when we lived in the Bristol area, lovely county. Do you have animals on your smallholding?
As for questions there's always someone here with an answer or ready to do research :lol:
Sarah5

Post by Sarah5 »

Hello wendywombat, I think the sampler might be a bit ambitious for a first project but each square is pretty small so I shall be able to see some progress as they get done. They have loads of lovely kits its was quite difficult to decide. Your Grandad's shed one is rather scary!! :lol: should make sure grandad gets plenty of peace and quiet in his shed!

We have quite a few sheep, some cattle and a few chickens. I took up spinning so I could knit something from our own sheep - which I have done - but I also have a huge stash of bought fibre and fleece filling up my spare room along with the yarn and we have more sheep too. So the last thing I need is another craft but when I saw the sampler I just had to have a go.

Sarah
fccs

Post by fccs »

Hello from Colorado and welcome to the forum.

I love the sampler - it's different from the ones I usually see. There is no right or wrong way to start it, and I would probably be tempted to knock out the outlines first as well. I like the idea that each letter will be a little finish. And don't let the overall project overwhelm you. Remember, whether it's a big project or a small one, the x's are the same...one x at a time.

I tried knitting but it's not my thing. I do crochet (but typically only during winter), mainly afghans and scarves. Cross stitch is my #1 crafty love.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Hi Sarah :wave: and Welcome from me too in sort of sunny Brisbane - those darned clouds keep shutting out the sun. Great to have you with us.

I love your sampler and as for whether to do all the boxes first or a motif, it is entirely up to you which way you go - there are no hard and fast rules in cross stitching. Sometimes others have done a few boxes to give them guidelines and then gone back and filled them in. You will eventually work out a way which is comfortable for you.

A lot of us grid our fabric, again some (like me) do all of it others just the area they are working on. To grid mark of 10x10 stitches and run horizontal and vertical lines either with sewing machine cotton (or similar) or with a water soluable marker. Sewandso sell these I am sure.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Purple Patsy

Post by Purple Patsy »

Welcome Sarah. I'm no longer the newest newbie now :D

Hope your lovely sampler is coming on nicely.

I grew up on a farm too which my brother now runs. I still live within a mile of it so know the goings on.

Your smallholding sounds great. :D
WIPs
The Astronomer (HaED)
Gamer Nouveau (Gecko Rouge)
Woodland Enchantress (Dimensions)
Sagi No Mai (Maia)

Finishes on forum
Starry Night with TARDIS 12 Aug 2016 -27 June 2017
Royal Holiday
fiddler

Post by fiddler »

Welcome to the forum. I love your sampler and hope you get photobucket fixed soon as we like to see pics.
Sarah5

Post by Sarah5 »

Thanks for all the welcomes. It's nice to join such a friendly forum.

I thought I had fixed the photos up thread. I can see them when I look back at the posts. I will try again with this new photo. Our broadband is so slow it takes an age to upload to the photo bucket app. But here we are, first square done.

I have made some progress and have some questions so shall make a new post in the SAL section.
kandifloss

Post by kandifloss »

Hello & welcome. I have recently joined & people are helpful & always ready to answers questions. Hope you enjoy it on here.

Your sampler is beautiful design & you've made a lovely start. Hope your Q Snaps comes soon as it makes stitching easier when you have it in a frame & you get the right tension. :)

Kandi :rainbow:
Kandi

There is always a rainbow somewhere in the world even If you cannot see one
So never give up hope
Sarah5

Post by Sarah5 »

Hi kandi

Thanks for the welcome, I have found loads of useful info on here and everyone is very friendly.

I have got the q snap frame now and am finding it much easier to work with. I got an 11x11 size and it seems plenty big enough.

Sarah