RE; Supplies

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Stitchin in SD

RE; Supplies

Post by Stitchin in SD »

I am just wondering where do you all get your supplies? I live in southern Cal and the last cross stitch store in San Diego closed two years ago. There are still Michael's, Joanns and Hobby Lobby, but they are cutting back on their cross stitch supplies and I can't remember the last time they had anything on sale. I have been using ebay and online sites, like Charles Craft and 123 stitch. does anyone have a favorite web site that doesn't cost too much?

Anyway thank for the help. :whoop: :king:
rcperryls

Re: RE; Supplies

Post by rcperryls »

I use the big craft stores to get basic supplies like DMC thread, hoping they have what I need. My first website to order from is 123Stitch. The prices seem reasonable, they have a lot of sales and excellent customer service. Most of my designs now are from the HEAD website, but I have other projects that I have learned about from other members. Fabric and specialty sights for special thread sometimes. I hate that our LNS closed a,few years ago also so I feel limited, but the realty is that my stash has increased geometrically since joining the forum and my list of bookmarked websites is so long I had to organize it into sub folders. Is there something specific that you are looking for?

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Unfortunately I order online for all of my stuff. I usually use Sticher or Sew and So. I have one craft shop a few miles north of my home but as I don't usually drive or have the time to head up there and I can usually get stuff cheaper online I choose that option :oops:
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

If you're in the US, you'll struggle to find much better than the DMC floss price at http://www.123Stitch.com. In the UK we pay a minimum of £0.42p, and at current exchange rates that's 54 centsUS. You can get them from 123Stitch at 44 centsUS a skein. Hrrumph.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Richard, I know you won't like hearing this, but at the Big Craft stores here, like Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Joanne's DMC thread can often be found at even less than 123Stitch's price per skein, when you go to the store. Online purchases usually require you to purchase a box of 10 or 12 skeins of a color. Walmart carries a limited selection (and not well maintained) of DMC and some basic supplies in many of its stores.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Even more 'Rip-off Britain' than I thought.
Just shows how effective the EU 'free trade area' actually is, when items made in France are cheaper outside the EU and 4000 miles further away.

I need a couple of cat pictures to make it feel better.
Yep, that worked. He was about 3 months older in the second photo... And now stretches up to look over the worktop.

Regards,

Richard.
Last edited by richardandtracy on Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:whoop: Cat pictures always make it better! I tell people my house is decorated in "Early Feline" when they wonder why there is a large box in the middle of my living room (a castle where the princess can hide), baskets with cushions in several corners and furniture that requires covers when company is coming.

Carole
:tantrum:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Stitchin in SD

Post by Stitchin in SD »

I actually made a bed for my pets from the large craft crates they sell at Michael's. I popped the top three slats off, then used doll's heads, round balls with a flat side for feet, and upholstered it. My pets don't like it. My dogs prefer their crates and my cats prefers my bed. However, two toddlers love it.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I've gotten DMC locally at the big chains for as low as 22 cents a skein on sale, and I hate to pay more than 35 cents. When you consider that the U.S. is about the size of all of Europe and the big chains are ordering for all their stores here, they must get a better pricebreak than a chain that's ordering for all their stores in the U.K. or all their stores in Germany, for example. It's a much bigger market here.

Since I moved, I order all my stitching supplies online. With free shipping, it actually costs less to pay a few cents more per skein and let the post office burn their gas to bring it to me than it is to pay for my own gas to drive to town (at least an hour round trip, usually more). I pay a little bit more for the items, but free shipping makes the total transaction less expensive.

My go-to site is 123Stitch. I usually end up getting my threads and fabric there. I get my needles from Anita's Little Stitches(50-packs of Bohins). I'll look at Nordic Needle for some hard-to-find items. They're more expensive, but they've never let me down -- their customer service is outstanding.

WIP
fccs

Post by fccs »

My go-to is 123stitch. I will also order on line from Needle in a Haystack (up in Alameda) and Needlepoints, Ltd. (Orange County). And when I "need" a Bothy Threads or Derwentwater Designs project (or my Lowery stand), I use sewandso in the UK.

For run of the mill stuff like floss and hoops, I have Hobby Lobby, Joann, and Michaels.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I've also had success online with a wholesale place called Yarn Tree (yarntree.com). You have to buy floss by the box, but they are great for other supplies. I use pre-threaded needles when doing my projects, and might have 50 -70 needles going for each project, so I like to buy them in bulk. There are plenty of gadgets and such you can buy individually at great prices.
Cleejoow

Post by Cleejoow »

I think i need to consider a move to the US

I pay at the local shops 1,45€ for a skein of DMC floss... (that's 1,64$) and then they wonder why we shop online....

Did have a not so great experience with an US based online shop who put on the envelope the value of my order... and I had to pay a lot of money at the post office for customs :(

Got to love Europe (or Belgium)
Greets,

Bieke
http://cleejoow.blogspot.com/
updated 08/12/2016

WIP
Lickle Ted birth sampler - DMC
Pumpkin Passport - The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery
some knitting as well :)
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

My hubby buys a lot of stuff from the US. He always choses USPS where he can to get a good rate to France
We got caught for import tax when using UPS.a couple of times :doh:
Recently a supplier in US sent our package to our UK based address by mistake and there was a charge for import tax. The package was refused at it's destination and was sent back to the sender. When it eventually arrived here.....no import tax! Odd how different countries deal with the import duties. I think it does depend largely on the value of the goods.
richardandtracy

The US is a trading partner & long term ally of the UK. China is a new trading partner and very dubious ally.
This completely explains why I have never had a parcel get through customs from the US without a customs charge, and I have never been charged with a Chinese parcel.

Regards

Richard.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I have never yet had to pay customs duties either here in Aus or back home in NZ. Both governments have a limit set on the value of your imports in a year and only if you exceed the limit do you have to pay customs. So far I have never got near it. :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262