Newbie!

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Handyann

Newbie!

Post by Handyann »

Hi everyone,
I'm Ann and I'm from Lincoln,UK. I've been reading through the posts and it's great to see how friendly and helpful everyone is.

Last year I graduated from a conservation and restoration degree and am (trying!) to set up my own restoration studio. The course was very broad and covered most types of object and materials, but I still come back to my old love of textiles and my years of stitching have stood me in good stead.

I still love to cross stitch tho' and am presently working on Theresa Wentzlers Camelot Sampler, which is most enjoyable to do as a lot of it is worked over one thread, to get the detail. Slow, but satisfying!

Looking forward to many 'chats', hopefully!
Best regards
Ann
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Good morning and I'm sure you will find we are quite friendly (when awake :shock: ).
Becca

Post by Becca »

Hi and welcome to the forum. That all sounds very interesting, i hope the restoration studio goes well. What do you mean by a lot of it is worked over one thread, i don't really understand?
razzamatazz

Post by razzamatazz »

Hello Ann

Welcome to the forum!

Maggie 8)
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

Welcome Ann!

I'm sure you'll love it here.

Good luck with the restoration studio!
fairie56

Post by fairie56 »

Hi and welcome from another newbie! This site does look very friendly, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.
I don't think I could ever stitch over one thread! My eyes no longer are what they used to be, sad to say. If you can, post a photo of your stitching.
Have a good day!
inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

Hi Ann
A warm welcome from a Canadian stitcher and i totaly understand what you mean as i am doing teresa'e Woodland Faerie and its done on 14 count except for the fairy and she is in 28 count so i am doing her last. But not only that every colour expect i think 3 are blended colours but i can't wait to see the finished project. Hopefully i will get it done by christmas. I sure wish i could stitch as fast as stitching again!!!

Debbie x
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Hi Ann

Glad you have joined the forum and look forward to updtes on the Camelot Sampler.
an_drea

Post by an_drea »

Hi Ann, Welcome to this forum, I hope you enjoy it! :D
razzamatazz

Post by razzamatazz »

Hi Fairie 56

Welcome to the forum!

Maggie xx 8)
Handyann

Thank you!

Post by Handyann »

Hi all and thank you for such a great welcome!

The cons and rest studio is taking shape slowly and I already have a few clients, so it's ticking over. Thank you all for your interest and good wishes.

Becca, usually on evenweave linen the stitches are worked over two vertical and two horizontal threads. Theresa Wentzler often does her very detailed sections over just one vertical and one horizontal thread, using one strand of embroidery thread, and achieves a depth of very fine detail which really adds to her designs.

It can be a bit time consuming however, as you are basically working double the number of stitches to fill the same space! For example, on the Camelot Sampler, there is a bit of text in the centre 'Whoso pulleth out this sword from this stone and anvil... etc' and the W is worked as an illuminated letter over one thread, meaning that an area about an inch square contains 400 stitches!! Such fun!

I will post some pix when I get the sampler finished - I may be quite a bit older by then! :wink:

Thanks again all, and I look forward to dropping by often.

Best wishes,
Ann
Becca

Post by Becca »

Wow those must be really tiny stitches!