Spring Bookmark or Card Exchange

For members who want to join in an exchange of cards, bookmarks,biscournes and other fun stitching and sharing.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

wendywombat

Re: Spring Bookmark or Card Exchange

Post by wendywombat »

Mine has been sent! :D
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Mine is nearly finished! Hope to have it in the mail by the beginning of next week!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

All my stitching is done. Now I need to figure out how to finish the back. I have never done so before. I will probably finish with felt or ribbon on back. For those who do this as standard practice, do you use glue, hand sewing or fusible webbing? Something else? I would love to hear from you.
Linda
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I used felt for mine then stitched it on with the same colour thread on my sewing machine.

Can't say more or I'll spoil the surprise.. :wink:

Ribbon would be pretty too but I didn't have any wide enough...well I did but it was the wrong colour. :doh:

I've also used the 'iron-on' interfacing, that works well but I like to stitch the edges to be sure to be sure. :lol:
mags

Post by mags »

Mine is in the post on its way to New Zealand :D

I backed mine with another piece of aida using running stitch to stitch them together (yes a bit fiddly) and then cut and fray. :D
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

hmmmm hadn't thought about the backing. Have an idea I might try. :thinks:

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

rcperryls wrote:hmmmm hadn't thought about the backing. Have an idea I might try. :thinks:

Carole
So are you more accustomed to just trying to be as neat as possible and leaving the back uncovered? I must say I really do like the way you can still see through the holes of the fabric as opposed to having them covered up. But, I will learn something new this time so that the life of the bookmark is likely extended (although I have bookmarks that are easily 20 years old with no problems with exposed stitches).
Linda
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Linda Rose wrote:So are you more accustomed to just trying to be as neat as possible and leaving the back uncovered?
For years I only stitched on afghans (cost of frames got me started) and I was very OCD about the backs. I think I even have the back of one in my gallery. For my current projects, which mostly get framed or go into the "finished projects waiting to be framed sometime in the future probably" drawer, I'm not as concerned about the backs because they won't be seen. So the bookmark's back is pretty neat though perhaps not quite as perfect as I would like.

I remember seeing a stitcher at EPCOT once, I think in the Chinese pavilion, who did embroidery that had one design on the front of the piece and a perfectly stitched different design on the back. Embroidery not cross stitch, I think. Beautiful. But I never have figured out how she did that.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
mags

Post by mags »

I wouldn't mind receiving a non-backed one - I have made them unbacked before and they hold up well and I just don't look at the backs :lol:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
poppy

Post by poppy »

rcperryls wrote: embroidery that had one design on the front of the piece and a perfectly stitched different design on the back.
It sounds amazing and very puzzling about how it can be done... :thinks:

Mine has been posted to you this morning, Carole (rcperryls) :)
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Can't wait to see it!!! Mine should be in the mail next week.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

I once saw my colleague stitching a traditional Ukrainian rushnyk(towel). I got interested why she was somewhat slow. It was amazing- there was no "wrong side" /"back" - both the sides were the same. Theoretically I know how to do it, but I am not that patient.
Lyudmila
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Somewhere in this forum there are pictures and at least links to how to duplicate stitch - back as beautiful as front. When I get to a more compatible device i shall find it and post the link. The back of my bookmark, though neat, does not compare to what else I have seen from this fellow forum member.
Linda
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Linda Rose wrote:Somewhere in this forum there are pictures and at least links to how to duplicate stitch - back as beautiful as front. When I get to a more compatible device i shall find it and post the link. The back of my bookmark, though neat, does not compare to what else I have seen from this fellow forum member.
Perhaps I didn't read about duplicate or two-sided stitching on this forum because I certainly can't find it now. If anyone knows anything about it, feel free to share.
Linda
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

My card is in the post box to be collected late afternoon today and on its way. Look for it in about 6-10 days Linda.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Getting on well with new bookmark start. :dance: Shall take it away on hols with me, of course, just to make sure.
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Squirrel wrote:My card is in the post box to be collected late afternoon today and on its way. Look for it in about 6-10 days Linda.
Quite excited :dance: :dance: :dance: Will let you know as soon as it has arrived and of course a picture will be up quick as a wink!
Linda
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Well, I am well on the way to having the back of my bookmark finished and hope to get it in the mail Monday morning. If you haven't already done so, please give an update on your progress. Thanks!
Linda
fccs

Post by fccs »

I am hoping to get mine put together this weekend and mailed Monday or Tuesday. Wish me luck. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

fccs wrote:I am hoping to get mine put together this weekend and mailed Monday or Tuesday. Wish me luck. :-)
All the best to you while you assemble! :shamrock: :shamrock: :shamrock:
Linda