Copyright Information

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

stitchnkitty

Re: Copyright Information

Post by stitchnkitty »

This is great - everyone should be aware of copyright laws - But how about posting the Trademark laws which are much more strick.
Amy Charles

Post by Amy Charles »

If I want to show my fellow cross-stitchers my work and publish on this site a photograph of a finished product, is it acceptable? Nothing else would be published (no chart, etc.) so I'm hoping it would become a personal piece of cross-stitch that I'm sharing? Is that right?
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Yes it is all right to post pictures of your own stitching as long as you don't post the chart or the key to the symbols. We all post pictures of our work (check out the Stitch-A-Long section to see the different ways we each post pictures of our work. Some have an ongoing thread for all their work. Others have a different thread that they update for each project. Some do a combination. We love pictures and we love to admire and encourage each other. To see how to post pictures, check this thread:
Posting Pictures into a Thread for directions. And ask any questions if something isn't clear. Looking forward to seeing your work.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
nano

Post by nano »

After reading some of the copyright information. I still have a question, Can I make a copy for my own use but enlarge the picture so I can see the stitches better? I will not be selling the copy or the finished product.
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

nano wrote:After reading some of the copyright information. I still have a question, Can I make a copy for my own use but enlarge the picture so I can see the stitches better? I will not be selling the copy or the finished product.
You certainly are allowed to do that---many of us do the same thing---we refer to them as working copies :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

LastingAllure

Post by LastingAllure »

karen4bells wrote:
nano wrote:After reading some of the copyright information. I still have a question, Can I make a copy for my own use but enlarge the picture so I can see the stitches better? I will not be selling the copy or the finished product.
You certainly are allowed to do that---many of us do the same thing---we refer to them as working copies :)
Most magazines have it in printing that you're allowed to make working copies for personal use :) Designers often say it is allowed too as long as you aren't passing on the original and keeping the copy.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

In the UK copyright law was amended in 2014, in Statutory Instrument SI2014/2361 "COPYRIGHT: RIGHTS IN PERFORMANCES: The Copyright and Rights in Performances (Personal Copies for Private Use) Regulations 2014" to say:
The making of a copy of a work, other than a computer program, by an individual
does not infringe copyright in the work provided that the copy—
(a) is a copy of—
(i) the individual’s own copy of the work, or
(ii) a personal copy of the work made by the individual,
(b) is made for the individual’s private use, and
(c) is made for ends which are neither directly nor indirectly commercial.
A link to the legislation is below so you can see the full text:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014 ... 361_en.pdf and the original Act of Parliament it affects (the Copyright & Patents Act, 1988): http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/enacted
This legislation came into force on 1 October 2014. It isn't a fascinating read, but does clarify the situation for UK residents. It should be noted that this right to copy applies to UK residents regardless of whether the copyright holder is based in the UK or not. As usual, the title (mentioning 'Performances') is entirely misleading & maintains Westminster's position as the most obtuse and confusing legislature on the planet.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
weeseechew

Post by weeseechew »

I have various books with patterns..Is it ok to make the patterns and sell the finished product if I have made changes to the pattern?
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

You can adapt patterns (for example, changing colours) but the pattern's copyright remains with the original designer. Each designer has views about whether you can make and then sell for profit something you have made from their design. Usually the instructions will make the designer's attitude clear. If it is not clear, then contact the designer and ask. Never assume! However, most designers are happy for their designs to be stitched, finished and then sold for charities. Not so keen on your personal profit, though!
monandjeff

Re: Copyright Informationa

Post by monandjeff »

I seached through the site but cannot find an answer to this. I ordered a 'kit' from the Chinese seller long time ago, way before i knew about the kits from dmc, dimensions etc. That kit came with a booklet of printed pattern, dmc threads and a piece of fabric. At that time i just knew that the seller had some great patterns but didnt realise these may be stolen patterns. So my question is am i ok to keep the pattern and stitch it as long as i dont copy or sell? can i show pictures of my finished piece out of this pattern?
Rose

Post by Rose »

Yes you are okay to keep and stitch this pattern. You are able to share pictures of your progress. You in no way meant o buy a fake design. It is good that you are now understanding the copyright problems and are making sure that your patterns are from a reputable seller. It is sad that others do not respect our designers.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
sarclanat

Post by sarclanat »

I read on a chart today that i am stitching at the minute, that you cannot even send on charts you have finished with as that also breaks copyright laws,

http://www.sewandso.co.uk/product/sprin ... ack/949183" target="_blank

I am not sure if it says the same on all their charts
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

sarclanat wrote:I read on a chart today that i am stitching at the minute, that you cannot even send on charts you have finished with as that also breaks copyright laws,

http://www.sewandso.co.uk/product/sprin ... ack/949183" target="_blank" target="_blank

I am not sure if it says the same on all their charts
Where are you? In the US, you would be allowed to give away the chart as long as you did not keep a copy for yourself. It would be covered under "fair use" the same way that you could give away a legally purchased book after you had finished reading it. What you can't do is sell the chart or re-kit it.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

http://www.passionericamo.eu/page2ingl.htm" target="_blank" target="_blank

Sarclanat, the burden of it seems to suggest you may not do any of these things for your own profit, pretending that it is your own. Seems entirely reasonable.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Squirrel let me know the following, which many will find helpful:

I have recently resubscribed to World of Cross Stitch because it has a lot of small motifs etc great for cards. A lady was asking about using their designs for bags and/or cards and selling them at craft fairs.

Answer:"so we've agreed with the designers (the copyright holders) that you can do this - it has to be on a small scale only - no mass production and with appropriate credit given with the items sold. So you could credit on the back of the item or on a labelled tag. "Hand stitched by XXXXXXXX with kind permission of XXXXXXX (insert designers name) on behalf of the World of Cross Stitching magazine, Immediate Media Co.

This gives many who would like to follow this lead a way forward: always get in contact with the copyright holders in the first instance and find out what they will agree to: usually not for your personal profit, and giving credit for permissions.

Obviously, the big designers (Disney, for example) are unlikely to play this particular ball game, but many other smaller designers will give permission, especially if the stitching is for charitable purposes.

But remember: Never Presume! Always Ask.
Christina

Post by Christina »

Really helpful!! Thank you all!!